Critique How to tell your Nuts from your Acorns

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I originally ID'd this weevil as a Nut Weevil (Curculio nucum) based on some similar looking beetles I found on Flickr. Further research, mainly by reading this Wikipedia page lead me to review my images and I subsequently identified this as an Acorn Weevil (Curculio glandium).

This weevil lives on Oak trees (there is one at the bottom of my garden) and has adpressed hairs on the antenna, whereas they are semi-erect in the Nut Weevil. I've included a close crop of the antenna for ID purposes.

N̶u̶t̶ Acorn Weevil with Hat by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

N̶u̶t̶ Acorn Weevil - Antenna by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

N̶u̶t̶ Acorn Weevil by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

N̶u̶t̶ Acorn Weevil (sans hat) by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good stuff Tim and thanks for the wee bit of info - always nice to have a little insight into the subject.

Brill shots Tim, as above the comments on the weevil are a nice touch, last one for me, great profile.
:)(y)

Don't understand the "and with Eos M" comment? Is it less capable? Or harder to achieve this style of shot with this type of camera? Just curious.

Tim has only just got the EOS-M so hence the comment nothing to do with Camera capabilities. :)

cracking set love No1 lighting and dof spot on

Les

the first one especially is excellent, amazing detail and light:)

Stunning work Tim.

Thanks all

Don't understand the "and with Eos M" comment? Is it less capable? Or harder to achieve this style of shot with this type of camera? Just curious.
Yeah as Bryn says, it's new to me. I'm finding it to be a capable little camera though and despite having to make some compromises (no viewfinder, and it gets to be difficult to take shots in bright sunlight for example..) I think it will be getting much more use than my DSLR. Not sure if you were thinking of getting one, but at the current prices (under £200) I would definitely recommend it.

Something else I've never seen before...it's amazing what you learn on here...those are really super shots Tim ... wonderful detail...shame we don't have macro vision...look at what we're missing :)
Thanks, yeah that's why I love macro! So much to explore :)

Lovely shots and a great little beastie, colours and detail are spot on (y)

Back