Hoya Filter Quandry

Edit My Images
No
I wonder if you could help? I am shortly going to the south coast for a week’s holiday and fancy taking my first Landscape photos. Once I get the money together I am aiming to invest in an ultra wide angle maybe Nikons new 10 – 24mm or the Tokina. However money is a bit tight at the moment and I do have a Nikkor 18mm – 200mm 3.5 – 5.6 which I can use at the 18mm end for Landscape work in the medium term. I don’t want to buy too many filters as likely the ultra wide angle when I get it could be 77mm. But I thought it would be a good short term investment to get a 72mm polarising filter for the Nikkor for the Holiday. I like Hoya filters and on Amazon a Hoya circularising polar 72mm is about £32 but there is another one the Pro1 which is about £54. The quandary is.. Is it worth the extra £20 for the Pro1 would you say? Camera is D300. I am not so desperate as I can’t afford the extra but don’t want to waste money either. Many Thanks:crying:

Hi tesco, welcome to the forum. Hopefully you aren't Terry Leahy in disguise as I'm posting from work!

I have a Kenko Pro1 CPL for my 18-200, and I couldn't live without it now. It's invaluable; if the sun is out you can bet I've got it on.

Look at getting it here: http://maxsaver.net/Kenko-Polarizer.aspx, (used to be HVStar) as they have a good reputation and are used by many forum members.

Hoya and Kenko filters are made in the same factory, but are just differently named for where they are sold (Kenko is for Japan, Hoya for the rest of the world I believe). So save your money and get a Kenko filter.

Edit: Looking at the prices, the Kenko Pro1 CPL, including shipping, is $60 - which is about £35 at a guess. :)

Thanks syx never heard of Kenko but you can see they are same filters as Hoya from website. Kenko Pro1 it is!

Hi Syx I bought the Kenko filter from maxsaver they seem a decent company. However do you have problems with their website. Thought I would check out other prices but it defaults back to the filters whatever you click on. Never seen that before ?

I've just had a look - seems to be working fine for me.

Why don't you get a 77mm now and use a step down ring?

Edit: sorry just noticed you've bought one already.

Back