Hoya HD filters

I've got that HD circular polariser, swapped my Hoya Pro1 CPL for it, simply because of the reduced light loss. Which at 1.1 stops is 0.6 stops less than the Pro1 and even more so than some others. It is now in almost permanent residence on my EF-S 10-22 super wide.

Compared to the Pro1, apart from the light gain, it is multicoated on both sides (not just the rear surface) and if you look at them side by side, the Pro1 is very fractionally bluish, and the HD very fractionally yellowish. You don't notice it in normal photography unless you do a side by side comparison - my best estimate at correction was to take the colour temperature down by 150K or so, but I never bother. There are far greater variables than that in everyday picture taking anyway. I only mention it because you asked ;)

I could see no difference in polarising effect. Because of the reduced light loss, plus the front multicoating, I think it's the best CPL you can buy. And it's a snip at that price - I paid £82 only a few weeks ago from Amazon.

Thanks for the information Hoppy. Very useful. Looks like Amazon have a sale!

Back