I am so excited

Name
Fi
Edit My Images
Yes
Just realised it will be 4 weeks until i can hold my new D300 in my hands - i have decided to get the D300 because me and my partner have just gone into business together so money is thin on the group and the D700 would have crippled us for a while.

So its D300 in 4 weeks and then my first lens for it 4 weeks after that!

Oh how i have enjoyed the run with Pentax but its time to pass on the old and make way with the new :)

Just wanted to share my excitment really :)

Enjoy your purchases, but what do you think the D300 will offer over your K20D for your style of shooting?

Congratulations....not sure about having a body with no lens for a month though! :thinking:

Enjoy your purchases, but what do you think the D300 will offer over your K20D for your style of shooting?

faster lenses - quicker shutter and i felt one the other day and they seemd really solid (thought my Pentax is really solid so i am not expecting it to be beat there)

faster flash sync mode

much more option to upgrade

I cant afford a lens for a month, thats just life and i am not going to try and save 2000 all at once because i am not very good at doing that, better at building up and then spending in bits me :)

I will be keeping the pentax so i wont loose out on anything i will still carry on as normal, will just be building up my Nikon set up in the corner :)

I dunno - like a kid at Christmas! ;)

Actaully feebs is buying into a far more extensive system camera with a long history of producing top end pro cameras. I'm not knockig Pentax, I used them for years, and they've been responsible for many ground breaking innovations in SLRs, but they never seem to be quite sure where their place is in the market. They're producing some good quality cameras at present , but they've done this on and off over the years and then reverted to making cheap plasticky jobs, with no choice over where your next upgrade is coming from if you're heavily committed to the system.

yeah this was my problem with Pentax, that i had no real option to upgrade! they still do the best entry level DSLR in my opinion, just because its built really well and will survive a few knocks and scrapes, the lenses are top notch for the price and the service is really very good

but where do i go next? Yes they have introduced the K7 but where to after that? it would be silly to still pile money into a system that gets me no-where

but if i could do it again i would still buy my pentax just as i did, and i will keep it as a backup camera (unless the OH steals it which he Is planning :p )

but now its time for a change, if people are paying you 500quid for a days shoot, you have to have the kit to give them what they want

plus Nikon do a f2.8 200mm lens and i can't stop dribbling at the mere thought of it

Interesting, I shoot Pentax, and plan to switch, but I wouldn't switch from a K20D to a D300 as effectively you're gaining nothing, or very little in the short term.

Switching to full frame would make more sense to me, and waiting until you can afford the D700 seems a better decision.

I have only 2 reasons to move way from Pentax

No Full Frame
No rear curtain sync off camera.

So for me it's a wait until I've enough cash banked for a full frame system (Canon or Nikon I'll decide at the time)

Oh, and Pentax do a 200mm F2.8 too

http://www.parkcameras.com/8697/Pen...oogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid8697

I also shoot Pentax and thought about the D300 long and hard but I can see no real reason to swap. Had I wanted full frame or was thinking of making a living from photography then yes I could see the reasoning and would probably jump to another brand but I don't (so I won't).

I have also known people jump to the D300 and then come back within a few months once they realise how good the built in SR really is on Pentax and how much they need to spend on a VR lens to get the same quality ... I can hand hold my Bigma at 1/180 and get sharp pictures, I tried the same on a D300 when I was thinking of a change and could get nowhere near the same hit rate.

Oh and as already mentioned there is a DA* 200mm f2.8 Pentax lens which is fully weather sealed and an excellent piece of glass.

Anyway, enjoy you new camera (y)

yeah Pentax do a 200mm f2.8 but they dont do a 70 -200mm f2.8

i will be moving on to full frame shortly but i really cant afford to right away, my plan is to have a D700 as a main camera with a D300 as a backup and lenses to suit

It will take until next summer for me to get that all sorted, i can afford about 1300 at the end of september, which i thought would get me a nice Nikon D300 but i would need to find another 500 to get the D700

If it turns out i can afford the D700 then obviously thats what i will get, i realise Pentax is a great brand but i want to be able to upgrade without spending out thosands all at once

way i look at it, i can get the D300, buy some really uber lenses for it, get used to the Nikon thing and then grab a D700 a bit cheaper (hopefully) next summer ready for the festivals and getting out there to get some 'proper' work

Now i need to think about what lenses i need to buy, i want something good enough that i can transistion it between the two really :)

No and i felt very strongly in my bones that had i gone with Canon i would have regretted it... Nikon are looking like ace cameras and who knows, maybe one day i can afford and have room in my buisness for the D3!

I've been on your web site and like your work

how much photoshop did you do (if none you are a god ) fantastic results with the pentax why change they are good and you clearly understand and work well with your camera (why fix it if it's not broken)

i do very little photoshopping of pictures, little bit of a tweak here and there in Adobe RAW and perhaps cloning out some spotty bits :)

- thanks i am glad you like the shots -

Yeah i do get uber good results with my Pentax but there are certain factors i just cant handle anymore, more than anything the flash sync speed - its far to slow for some of the stuff i do.

Flash is my life basically! i want a FF eventually and if i begin putting money into a Nikon system then that will be much easier to transistion later on, when i need to

People are starting to take a real interest in my work are willing to pay me for what i do and i need a pro camera system which Pentax havent really offered i am afraid!

do you think i will have worse results with the D300??

Have you a dedicated Pentax flash with HSS?

You can still get the Pentax FA* ƒ/2.8 80-200mm and Tokina and Tamron alternatives, if you look around.

You could save money by buying manual focus lenses, sharing ones from the Tamron Adaptall-2 range between cameras. Or you could splash out on lenses from the Pentax A* range, which attract some of the highest prices among 2nd-hand lenses, for good reason.

You'll certainly notice a difference in ergonomics between the brands. As for an upgrade path, I ask again: What does your style of shooting require? What do you need from full frame?

Of course Pentax offer Pro cameras, if you want medium format. Really slow sync speeds though ;)

I use my metz flash, its my portable studio and i wouldnt swap it for the world frankly, metz hammerhead work really well with Nikons too because of the quick flash sync speed which is uber exciting to look forward to and a huge reason for choosing Nikon over Canon.

What will i gain from FF - Bigger prints :)

I have a few manual focus lenses for my Pentax and they have been a great help to me over the years and i have produced some excellent results, just time to move upward me thinks :)
Also Pentax underexposes EVERYTHING and it winds me up, i have found it with both the K10D and the K20D and its a pain.
I think i have answered what i want from an upgrade but here goes, i will answer again

Better flash sync speed

Option to upgrade to Full frame

more choice in lenses

I *could* save money by continuing with Pentax and buying old lenses, or i could take my career seriously and get a pro camera with all the trimmings and room to upgrade as i improve :)

Dude if you want to borrow some Nikon Lenses until yours arrives, we can come to some sort of arrangement. Not looking for payment, just assurances that it will come back :D If they went walkies I would have a very upset 11 year old.

I could let you borrow a Sigma 10-20, Nikon 70 to 300 and a Nikon 18 to 70 (kit version). I would be extremely upset having to wait to play with my new toy.

Gary.

EdinburghGary arent you just the loveliest blokie! That would be amazing to have a wee play around with some! I could definatly send you my whole Pentax setup as a sort of guarentee of getting stuff back in uber good condition and you would make a pixie very happy!

Me and Liam are just sat here in absolute shock of what a lovely offer that is, thank you from the bottom of my heart dude xx

EdinburghGary arent you just the loveliest blokie! That would be amazing to have a wee play around with some! I could definatly send you my whole Pentax setup as a sort of guarentee of getting stuff back in uber good condition and you would make a pixie very happy!

Me and Liam are just sat here in absolute shock of what a lovely offer that is, thank you from the bottom of my heart dude xx

No problem, not wanting your kit as a guarantee, I will send recorded delivery and insured.

When does your camera arrive?

Gary.

I will be getting it at the end of September/beginning of October, quite a while i know :confused: if you have other plans for the lenses then i totally understand, just blown away by your lovely offer!

Nope, you can have them - just get in touch when the camera arrives,
Gary.

I will take great care of them thank you, will be intouch in a month!! Woot how exciting!! in One Month from now i can actually Play With My camera!! Brilliant!

I will take great care of them thank you, will be intouch in a month!! Woot how exciting!! in One Month from now i can actually Play With My camera!! Brilliant!

:D Happy to help. It would be like me getting my Nintendo 64 all those years ago, with NO GAMES!!! I would have killed myself :)

Gary.

:clap::clap::clap: Gary ....a very generous gesture.......do you by any chance have a 70-200f2.8 sat around :naughty::LOL::LOL::LOL:

it would indeedy be like a Nintento with no games, or in fact with no controllers! Just say watching little mario run into the wall again and again :p

Back