Critique I don't really do architecture

My first thought was that it looks like you have used an ultra wide-angle lens which has made the top third of the picture uncomfortably empty, a slightly longer focal length would have cropped that away.

I like the low level viewpoint but the strong lead-in of the bridge results in that blue wall which is quite prominent and not attractive. A group of two or three people as you say would be the solution.

It's a very good location and I think there's a really good shot here and with a few tweaks you'll have it.

Last edited:
Maybe full on b&w would have been better, not sure the bit of blue works
Also might have got all of the closest section rather than have the diagonal end without connecting

Nice and symmetrical though and I like the low view you have got.

Just my opinion, not an architecture person either, but can see how it would appeal

My thoughts are it's a good attempt and you should shoot more architecture.

My observations are you need complete symmetry. You need to be completely in the middle of the bridge with the camera perpendicular to the horizon and straight on x and y axis.

Your level but I think you're off perpendicular or not quite in the middle. There is a slightly skewed feeling to it but I like the idea.

Exposure wise it looks fine.

Last edited:
My first thought was that it looks like you have used an ultra wide-angle lens which has made the top third of the picture uncomfortably empty, a slightly longer focal length would have cropped that away.

I hadn't really noticed that the top third is empty, you're quite right. It was taken at around 12mm on a m4/3 sensor.

Maybe full on b&w would have been better, not sure the bit of blue works
Also might have got all of the closest section rather than have the diagonal end without connecting

Nice and symmetrical though and I like the low view you have got.

Just my opinion, not an architecture person either, but can see how it would appeal

thank you!

Where is it?

Is it Docklands?

It's Millbank Millennium Pier - I ended up there quite by accident

My thoughts are it's a good attempt and you should shoot more architecture.

My observations are you need complete symmetry. You need to be completely in the middle of the bridge with the camera perpendicular to the horizon and straight on x and y axis.

Your level but I think you're off perpendicular or not quite in the middle. There is a slightly skewed feeling to it but I like the idea.

You're quite right, it's slightly off centre - I realised after the event. I did what I could in LR to fix it but could only take it so far.

Thank you all for taking the time to comment.

I agree that the top section is looking a little too empty for this type of photo, but rather than cropping it I think I would have moved forwards a few feet until the first horizontal beam was higher up in the frame. I like this shot :)

I must have walked past this during the day on many occasions without seeing it's potential!

My main comment would be that the three tubes on the left tend to lead the eye out of the picture to the upper left.

As Carl suggests above, I think I would have positioned a horizontal element near the top of the frame to hold the eye in the frame, rather than leading the eye out as it does now.

For me, there seems to be something missing; I think the picture could benefit from on something to focus on, may be some one walking of shot in the foreground, or someone disappearing in the distance.

Back