I have heard of back focusing but side focusing?!?

lukewoodford

FYI, I am Luke Woodford.....by Luke Woodford
Name
Luke Woodford
Edit My Images
No
This is strange, let me start by saying my 24-70 is kind of broken. My tripod toppled over with it on a couple weeks ago. It works but is stuck at 24mm. I'm currently waiting to hear back from the insurance. Anyway I was doing some group shots at weddings with it an I noticed at f/2.8 it's alot sharper on the left than the right. I have never heard of this beofre. Does anyone know the cause of it? If my lens is broken what is it that is causing this? I'm baffled :thinking:

Cheers,

Luke

Its called "de-centering", and actually its a very common fault (especially after a drop!), but many lenses actually come out of the factory de-centered.

Essentially lens elements should all be aligned but often alignment is a fraction of a millimeter out on one or another side - this problem is quite common, and is often more visible at certain focus distances as lens elements move around in the lens.

Its called "de-centering", and actually its a very common fault (especially after a drop!), but many lenses actually come out of the factory de-centered.

Essentially lens elements should all be aligned but often alignment is a fraction of a millimeter out on one or another side - this problem is quite common, and is often more visible at certain focus distances as lens elements move around in the lens.

ok mate, thanks for that. Is there somehting in camera I can do to correct it or just put up with it until it's repaired?

Back