I`m done

Ignoring the whole international vs UK pricing debate, even £600 is a fair old premium to pay for a new k5-iis vs a decent quality second hand k5 @ £300.

I disagree, I found the focus system on the II far superior to the I and well worth the upgrade in fact the K30 handled better than the K5I, and OP is after the IIs which cannot be compared to the I or II k5.

Convert to Hong Kong dollars? How many folk are gonna do that to purchase?

how much would a cheap flight to the states be ... may be a long weekend and stock up on camera kit while you are there
I've checked prices when I've been in the US on several occasions and, once you add their tax on to the shop window price there's been very little, if any, saving.

Convert to Hong Kong dollars? How many folk are gonna do that to purchase?
Useful if you 1) have relatives in HK 2) you visit HK often :)

Nah I was quoting for grey import as the 950 would be what u pay for as the custom charge etc will be refunded by the importer as per your latter point. .

On a grey import you (the buyer) are the importer

The seller may refund charges or may not - some say they do (and of these some are telling the truth) others explicitly say they don't

I've checked prices when I've been in the US on several occasions and, once you add their tax on to the shop window price there's been very little, if any, saving.

I agree, when we went a few years ago there wasn't much to be saved on electronics at all, I was looking for Sony lenses and ended up not bothering. Clothing on the other hand.....

I found out how much petrol is in America. I wrote to BP, Shell and Esso and they fobbed me off aswell. As a protest I've decided not to buy petrol any more. It's a right pain though.

Well to be fair they have much further to travel as the country is so big. Here in the UK petrol is more but things are so much closer, so we do less miles than them. Overall they spend more on fuel than we do.

Well to be fair they have much further to travel as the country is so big. Here in the UK petrol is more but things are so much closer, so we do less miles than them. Overall they spend more on fuel than we do.

What a strange sweeping statement. I live 30 miles from work, I do more miles than an American who lives 3 miles from work. Unless you're talking about the population of over 300 million people spending more than us with 60 odd million? That's still strange though.

On the plus side, you're far more likely to enjoy much, much more annual leave in the UK to enjoy your photography equipment compared to our American friends. I enjoy 42 days leave including Christmas and Bank Holidays, none of our family or friends in the US get anywhere near half of that, in fact they're not legally entitled to any. And lets not even get started on health care...

It's fruitless comparing pricing across countries in my opinion, there are so many variables it would be impossible to know if something is genuinely cheaper as a percentage of earnings in one place to another.

Prices are set at the point people are willing to pay, clearly Pentax feel their UK prices strike that balance.

Last edited:
What a strange sweeping statement. I live 30 miles from work, I do more miles than an American who lives 3 miles from work. Unless you're talking about the population of over 300 million people spending more than us with 60 odd million? That's still strange though.
I think what they meant was that Americans tend to travel further than we do, for example I've a couple of relatives (one South African, the other now living in New Zealand) and neither of then consider anywhere in the UK far away at all and will happily "pop" down from Scotland for a visit, its simply because what they consider far away is much much further than we do on the whole.

Back