I shall call him Gus

DpM

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
Yes
The wife informed me that we had a guest that had made its home on the kids trampoline.

Seemed like a good time to try some macro photography.

This was hand held using a 60mm f2.8 nikon. I used OCF with a shoot through umbrella. It was a bit of a pain to shoot as I had to push against the outer netting of the trampoline and shoot through it.

I might try again tomorrow if he is still there with my macro rails and tripod.

tumblr_nbyof32S1x1tu688to3_500.jpg

tumblr_nbyof32S1x1tu688to1_500.jpg

Is this a first try or near beginners go?

I would suggest you look at the macro setups threads... Using a umbrella on flash is amazing waste of the light for a subject 1-2cm big.

That being said what were your camera settings?

I suspect that you could probably ditch the rail and tripod and hand hold but that depends on your circumstance (may be reason you can't hand hold camera)

Thanks for the reply Bryn, it my first real go is, never tried macro before really.

The lighting was the first thing I had to hand in a rush to get it taken after work before putting the kids to bed etc.
I need to devise something like in the macro thread for this kind of thing as I enjoyed taking it.

I thought next time I could use the tripod and rail to take multiple shots to increase the DOF, focus stack.
I will look up the settings and post them later when I'm at my personal PC.

Thanks for the reply Bryn, it my first real go is, never tried macro before really.

The lighting was the first thing I had to hand in a rush to get it taken after work before putting the kids to bed etc.
I need to devise something like in the macro thread for this kind of thing as I enjoyed taking it.

I thought next time I could use the tripod and rail to take multiple shots to increase the DOF, focus stack.
I will look up the settings and post them later when I'm at my personal PC.

For the moment stay away from focus stacking.... would be my advice its an advance technique.

I would say get your aperture to f11 or smaller (larger subjects as this f8 can be ok) then work from there.

Reactions: DpM
Back