I thought it was dead! - Now with video

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Found this on the decking yesterday 27/6 looking quite lifeless

moth_2873 by HiddenNature, on Flickr​

While looking through the viewfinder i saw a small movement , so scooped up the moth on a leaf and placed it in the flower bed.

moth_2875 by HiddenNature, on Flickr​

When i had a look this morning i was quite surprised to see this

moth_eggs_2894 by HiddenNature, on Flickr​

looking worse for wear but laying eggs..........

moth_laying_2883 by HiddenNature, on Flickr​

Some video - The moth looks like its dead, with no antena movement and its tongue is out and not moving as you can see in the 3rd image, The video shows the motion of laying an egg but no eggs are appering, its like the body is just going through a automated process .

[YOUTUBE]GNMnMUBhLes[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Fascinating set Paul, you can see the detail in some of the eggs too. Well done. (y)

I've got a mild phobia of moths but I must say they're great pictures :D

I would absolutely love to be able to take insect pictures like that. How much would I be looking at to get a lens that capable?

Just seen those on Flickr - as I said on there, really interesting set, the detail in that egg shot is just amazing (y)

I've got a mild phobia of moths but I must say they're great pictures :D

I would absolutely love to be able to take insect pictures like that. How much would I be looking at to get a lens that capable?

They're with the Canon MPE-65 I think. That's about £700 new IIRC, maybe more now....

An option which is slightly easier on the wallet (and the set up that I'm going to be using until I have the money for an MPE) is a macro lens combined with tubes. I've got a canon 100mm and a set of Kenko auto extension tubes. New that'll probably set you back about £500 for the two, 2nd hand you'll probably save a good £100 on that...

You'll have to consider lighting as well. Again the ideal is the MT24-EX, but that's very expensive. Budget option is a speedlite of some description (I use a yong-nuo one), some form of cord or remote trigger to get it off camera and then some form of mini softbox or similar for diffusion.... Should set you back about £100 or maybe even less in total :D

I don't want it to sound like this is a thread hijack, but if you want to see the results the 'budget' set-up is capable of, my Flickr link is just down there ;)

Last edited:
Absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, she was having a rest before the baby delivery! Bless her and her moth balls :D

<that shot is just too blooming brilliant> :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:
great set Paul, very impressive :clap::clap:

Did you also use extension tubes for this? If so, what stack did you use if you dont mind me asking? :)

A superb set of images. Would be good if you manage to follow the progress of the eggs.

Linda

Fantastic set Paul.

Fascinating set Paul, you can see the detail in some of the eggs too. Well done. (y)

Thanks Guy's

I've got a mild phobia of moths but I must say they're great pictures

The MP-e is probably not the best lens to get you started with macro as its not the easiest to use and to get the best from the lens you'll need a MT24-EX also so your looking at the wrong side of 1K also its only any use for macro 1-5x life-size , start off with a normal macro lens the add some tubes or a Raynox to increase magnification.

Just seen those on Flickr - as I said on there, really interesting set, the detail in that egg shot is just amazing (y)

They're with the Canon MPE-65 I think. That's about £700 new IIRC, maybe more now....

An option which is slightly easier on the wallet (and the set up that I'm going to be using until I have the money for an MPE) is a macro lens combined with tubes. I've got a canon 100mm and a set of Kenko auto extension tubes. New that'll probably set you back about £500 for the two, 2nd hand you'll probably save a good £100 on that...

You'll have to consider lighting as well. Again the ideal is the MT24-EX, but that's very expensive. Budget option is a speedlite of some description (I use a yong-nuo one), some form of cord or remote trigger to get it off camera and then some form of mini softbox or similar for diffusion.... Should set you back about £100 or maybe even less in total :D

I don't want it to sound like this is a thread hijack, but if you want to see the results the 'budget' set-up is capable of, my Flickr link is just down there ;)

Absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, she was having a rest before the baby delivery! Bless her and her moth balls

<that shot is just too blooming brilliant> :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Fantastic set

Thanks (y)

great set Paul, very impressive :clap::clap:

Did you also use extension tubes for this? If so, what stack did you use if you dont mind me asking? :)

Thanks - No tubes or stacking just the MP-e

wow - thats just simply amazing...

A superb set of images. Would be good if you manage to follow the progress of the eggs.

Linda

Thanks - will keep looking to see if i can catch some hatching - Work & weather permitting

Last edited:
Just watched the video at 1080 full screen on my imac, brilliant and love the sound track you chose too.

Amazing just amazing, loved the video too.
Need me one of them lens ha ha

spike

There bloody brilliant and a great story to boot, well done

Steve

Back