I want a DSLR!

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm new here, and slighty new to SLRs.
I've had my fair share of experience with a Nikon D90, fabulous camera, and very encouraging for taking better pictures.

Problem is. I don't have enough to splash out for this D90. So I'm thinking of something a bit less high tiered.

Consider me to be an entry level user. What would be a good camera to buy?
I can only stress that I only have interest in Nikons, as I have friends and relatives who all use Nikons, so nicking a lens would be no problem for me. The body however, would not be... sadly.

Anyway, what options do I have? And where is a good place to buy from?

Have a look at http://www.camerapricebuster.com/, it's normally fairly accurate though still worth double checking.

Probably the one thing to note is that bodies below the D80/D90 don't have an in-body motor for older AF and AF-D lenses and instead need more recent lenses with an in-lens 'AF-S' motor. Perhaps something to consider if you're wanting to borrow older lenses -- maybe check what you might be able to borrow.

----
The normal small print...

As with many electronic items, avoid buying from outside the UK as warranty for digital products is only valid in the country or region of purchase; the following on-line sellers carry Nikon UK stock http://www.europe-nikon.com/home/en_GB/local/broad/180/1.html Or alternatively: http://www.europe-nikon.com/wheretobuy/en_GB/wheretobuy/broad/map.html

From the Nikon site:

**WARNING**
Please be wary of dealers claiming to be able to sell or provide you an international warranty for digital equipment when you are purchasing from overseas, or from importers. THIS IS FALSE . International warranty for these products is unavailable.

BTW Nikon are not unusual in this.

have you held the sony, canon, olympus, pentax and samsung DSLR systems. i was going to get a d80 when it was on special offer for £400 at jessops just after crimbo but i took the plunge for sony and i did have some regretting issues afterwards but i think that was just me thiking that i should have got a canon and nikon because everyone else has one, so i thought "screw everyone else" and now i love my sony a300 but id wish i could of gotten the a200 instead because i dont use live view (well very rarely).

What are refurbished models?

Ones that have been sent back to the manufacturer because of a minor fault, or returned to the dealer as unwanted.
Sometimes shop demo models are referred to as 'refurbished' meaning they cleaned the fingerprints off them before offering them for sale...

Get a D80. A lightly used one or refurbed from trusted seller.
If you are on a budject, as most are, then going for a camera that cuts down your options (Nikon's lower tier bodies) isn't a smart option.
If you have friends friends with motorized or regular lenses you can borrow. You can also get older lenses to fit and function on a D80.

Check that you like using a D80 though, having friends with compatible lenses is good, but should not be the sole argument.

£500 will easily be enough to get you started. The most important thing to remember is that you are buying into a system... not just a camera. If you continue to enjoy photography and expand your range of accessories (lenses, flashgun etc) then it can be very expensive to change brands in the future. For example, if you bought a Nikon DSLR and gradually built up a system of lenses and accessories for it you would be stuck with Nikon. If Canon released a fancy new camera that attracted you then you couldn't just swap camera bodies... you would need to sell all your Nikon equipment and buy it all again in Canon fitting. That would be very expensive. This is something to bear in mind when buying your first DSLR. Choose a manufacturer that makes all the accessories you think you will ever need. I know some Sony owners who have regretted not buying Canon or Nikon.

In short, the safest bet is either Canon or Nikon as neither of them produce a bad camera. While other manufacturers make great cameras you must ask yourself if they will still be in the DSLR game in 10 years time and, if so, will their cameras and accessories provide everything you need.

I have so much invested in Canon equipment it will be virtually impossible for me to change systems, even if I wanted to. Thankfully I don't have to at the moment.

Is your budget of £500 for a body only or will you be wanting a lens in that price as well.

If you are prepared to buy second hand then you should be able to get a very decent body within your budget. I'm not sure exactly how much they go for but I'd expect you could get a D200 for less than £500 and a second hand D90 wouldn't be too far off £500 if your budget is at all flexible.

Where might I be able to get one second hand?

I prefer Nikons, as explained in my first post.
I was thinking of the D60, as that's within my range.
It might not have the built in motor for focusing, but I'll probably be using AFS lens anyway...
Thoughts?

To get a second hand camera you can either try ebay but be careful who you are buying from. If possible go for someone local that you can collect from so you can see the camera matches the description before handing over the cash. Alternatively there is a trading section on this forum where used camera bodies come up quite often. It depends how much of a rush you are in to buy one.

The likes of MXV and Ffordes used to be great because every used item comes with a 12 month guarantee. However, the prices for their stuff is now so close to the new price that it hardly makes it worth it.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think you'd be well advised to keep a look out in the "for sale"section of the forum, as I think most of the folk here are pretty genuine and I for one have always bought and sold here, and I wouldn't dream of going on fleabay but have got some good deals on excellent equipment on our forum.If anyone didn'd play fair, I suspect they'd get pretty short shrift from the rest of us. However, at the end of the day, it's your decision, and the best of luck!! Go to a major retailer and have a good play with a number of models!!

You could also consider a D50 or a D70 both of which have autofocus motors built in to the body. Fewer megapixels but enough to print up to A3 size.

someone on here is selling a fujifilm S5 Pro that takes Nikon lenses and is an exceptional camera. worth a look. same body as the D200 but with great colour from the fuji sensor. Ive owned one so can recommend

really interesting post snownation, I'm in the same position and roughly same budget as you, so I'm following this with great interest!!!:D

I've actually gone with the D80 from a member here.
Got it and look some shots already, including on in the in depth critique section.

Thanks for all the information guys! You were all helpful!

Back