I went to the Zoo again

Name
Stef
Edit My Images
No
So today I decided to not walk as much and try & concentrate on one area... I wandered off!

Tiger cub
by stefbennett, on Flickr

I have this thing about Mandrills but they are a bugger to photo as the fur always looks OOF so I resisted going over the top... this time :whistle: This one was indoors so the ISO was 3200 & I think the grainy noise rather suits it!

Mandrill by stefbennett, on Flickr

Jaguar

Jaguar by stefbennett, on Flick

Last edited:
Personally, I think this is an excellent set (y)
I can see where some might criticise the shots, but each to their own. I really like the blackness behind the black Jag and appreciate the trouble the glass presents for the tiger shot, which is very good too. The mandrill looks flat almost like a painting probably because of the high ISO, but I love it!

Thanks for the comments. I know they won't be to everyone's taste but after months of horse photos (events) it's time for me to enjoy my photography again :)

The tiger cub wasn't shot through glass, only the Mandrill in this set was. The cub just happened to sit where I could shoot through the fence & bushes on ground level.
The mandrill was in solitary for some unknown reason and he kept fiddling with his hands and looked so solemn. The hands in this shot were what drew me to take the pic after watching him.

Thanks again, have you been to Chester zoo before?

The tiger cub wasn't shot through glass

Thanks again, have you been to Chester zoo before?
I knew you were going to say that as soon as I posted the comment :D Noticed the wire blur to the left afterwards, but it takes nothing away from the image for me ;)
I've been a couple of times and loved it ... was hoping there might be some decent weather up there this week as I might be close enough to visit again.

We're members so it's technically a free day out bar the petrol so I am going to keep going and hopefully perfect techniques and poses & get the keepers to brush the jags, cut the grass & put thinner wires up :D :rolleyes:

Will keep an eye out for Chester Zoo pics from you then :)

Thanks again for the comments, much appreciated.

What are peoples thoughts on this... I'm not 100% on the pose, too little face showing maybe? The background too much?

It's on Flickr but I might decide to take it down... :rolleyes: I hate being indecisive!

So tired...

I thought I'd posted here :thinking:
probably didn't hit send (Yet again :D)

Very nice, Stef particularly the 1st Mandrill and the 1st (Black) Jaguar :)
2nd Mandrill, Its a classic gob shot :)
Great for what it is (y)

Thanks Mr C :)

My o/h is my best crit & he has gone to sit on the river to watch Kingfishers in the sun for the afternoon! Charming eh :D

Maybe i will post the 2nd Mandrill in the 'gob shots' thread instead

Thanks Mr C :)

My o/h is my best crit & he has gone to sit on the river to watch Kingfishers in the sun for the afternoon! Charming eh :D
Home alone?
Party time :woot: :D

What a stunning set, really hard to chose a favourite, and I like the 2nd Mandrill too, it's a classic
If I had to chose it would have to be the tiger cub :D

The Mandrill and the Jaquar are breathtaking IMO, but the whole set is fab.

I really like the first Mandrill shot - the noise is def not a problem for me!!

Fantastic set. All top quality images.

Beautifully taken shots there, it's like the Mandrill is posing just for you.

I missed these they are superb
my favourite is the mandrill its brilliant the black background shows him off really well

Great set and like previous comments the Mandril is the pick for me, its a belter.

Went again today, I think we were walking round a bit slower this time but I'm still worn out!

This Chimp came over to one side and was just watching everyone :) nice to not have to crop the life out of this one

Chimp by stefbennett, on Flickr

Shifty eyes, hand gesture, norty Monkey :D

Another nice pose Stef (y)

Superb shot Stef :). @Cobra, your description reminds me of a video I saw recently, which I really couldn't post on here. :D

Superb shot Stef :). @Cobra, your description reminds me of a video I saw recently, which I really couldn't post on here. :D
Something's are better left un-said / un-seen :D

Personally 1 and 2 for me. I have to admit the lion picture is perfect for me (borrowed it for wallpaper, hope you don't mind)

Back