Ice Formations

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Well not been on here properly for a while as just not had the time to do any macro shooting. But shot outside this eve when I notice the cool ice formations on the roof of my car.

Shot upto 6x mag on reversed 18-55mm + 1.4xTC
1. Ice Chalice

Ice Structure-8393-08
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Ice Structure-8390-06
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Ice Structure-8392-07
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Ice Structure-8395-10
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Ice Structure-8384-03
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Ice Structure-8388-05
by bthomas124, on Flickr

All comments welcome and appreciated.

:ty:

Very n ice shots Bryn ;), the 1st one is cool and the last too. Nice to see your photos here again. Glad to say it's not that cold here yet. Brrrrr

Nice set Bryn, Really like the last two. #5 for the additional colour and #6 for the contrast and sharpness.(y)

We've not even had a frost yet this winter down here in deepest Kent.

George.

Nice work Bryn. I reckon these subjects will be excellent for stacking ;)

I, like you, haven't had any time for macro shooting recently. Got a special day planned for tomorrow though :)

Last edited:
Very nice shots Bryn ;), the 1st one is cool and the last too. Nice to see your photos here again. Glad to say it's not that cold here yet. Brrrrr

Cheers mate was nice to get the reversed lens out for a run again.

Nice set Bryn, Really like the last two. #5 for the additional colour and #6 for the contrast and sharpness.(y)

We've not even had a frost yet this winter down here in deepest Kent.

George.

Cheers mate, do you get ice so near the sea?

I like everyone of them, where do you live? planet Krypton.

Yep as dicussed eleswhere I am superman ;) @Cg_Girl

Good series m8 - the pink (not brown :p :LOL:) background works well too.

Paul.

That will be red ;) lol

Nice work Bryn. I reckon these subjects will be excellent for stacking ;)

I, like you, haven't had any time for macro shooting recently. Got a special day planned for tomorrow though :)

Sweet look forward to the results you lucky git!

Yeah would be a good subject for stacking but anything above 1:1 is too much a challenge and I can't resist urge to look at shot I just took. :(

Also got out my tammy and on front element has signs of fungi. Luckily it is within the 1st yr guarantee so should get repaired for free :D. Doesn't affect IQ but obviously want rid.

Last edited:
Also got out my tammy and on front element has signs of fungi. Luckily it is within the 1st yr guarantee so should get repaired for free :D. Doesn't affect IQ but obviously want rid.

Seems strange for a new lens, or was it second hand? You did well to get the guarantee then. Hopefully it can be sorted with minimum fuss, but if not leave it on a window sill in direct sunlight. Apparently the UV rays can kill off the fungus.

Seems strange for a new lens, or was it second hand? You did well to get the guarantee then. Hopefully it can be sorted with minimum fuss, but if not leave it on a window sill in direct sunlight. Apparently the UV rays can kill off the fungus.

Bought brand new from wex last year in Jan so should get free repair. I heard that direct sunlight works but it doesn't kill all spores and it will come back. I thought it was strange too but as long as it gets resolved I don't mind.

great set of pics

Thanks.

I don't like ice, it makes me walk funny before I fall........slip slidin away.
Fascinating to look at close up, nice pics.
Oh btw......followed your advice on the reversing ring, a cheap one arrived today from HK, early indications are it's bloody hard.

Nice job Bryn, the shapes are fascinating. Just mind boggling how natures creates these and symmetrical too :thinking:

Cheers Carl... the next time ice formed on the car it didn't have these structures so agree totally fascinating how it forms.

I don't like ice, it makes me walk funny before I fall........slip slidin away.
Fascinating to look at close up, nice pics.
Oh btw......followed your advice on the reversing ring, a cheap one arrived today from HK, early indications are it's bloody hard.

Don't worry you will get used to it (if i can do it anyone can)... get the light sorted too and if you can mount a high powered torch too for focus it will help no end.

You will get the same problem with all the high magnifications setups. I suggest you stick lens at 55mm and infinity focus whilst you get used to it.

Ye I tried at 55 and thought it's the same as using extension tubes until I went down to 18.....now that is close.

Ye I tried at 55 and thought it's the same as using extension tubes until I went down to 18.....now that is close.

Stick a 1.4x TC on it and then you will be 6+ x magnification then you will be closer than close..

With the 1.4x TC on it is 1:1 at 55mm infinity - and 6.5:1 at 18mm closest focus

Stick a 1.4x TC on it and then you will be 6+ x magnification then you will be closer than close..

With the 1.4x TC on it is 1:1 at 55mm infinity - and 6.5:1 at 18mm closest focus
I think I'll stick with the £2 ring for now and see how it goes, those TC's are out of my price range.

Very nice Bryn especially like the first one
it's a shame about your lens hopefully will get sorted:)

Very nice Bryn especially like the first one
it's a shame about your lens hopefully will get sorted:)

Out for repair currently for free :D hopefully problem doesn't reoccur. Though I may trade it in for an MP-E or something else.

Nice stuff Bryn
I have yet to see any ice.

Good shots though the first four lack contrast and are a bit greyish imo, especially compared to the last B&W shot which looks crisper. Do think the colour one works very well too

Good shots though the first four lack contrast and are a bit greyish imo, especially compared to the last B&W shot which looks crisper. Do think the colour one works very well too

None are Mono!!! lol

Thanks for your comments and to be fair there is not a lot of contrast in ice with Ice as the background.

Back