Iceland - which ND filter for Canon 10-18mm

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I'm off to Iceland in a few weeks and really want to invest in a UWA and an ND filter to capture silky skies and sea scapes (I've got an 18-55 kit lens at the moment)...I have a Canon 700D camera... If I were to purchase a Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens for everyday shooting including dawn and dusk which 67mm ND filter would you recommend please?

I also want to take shots of the Northern Lights if we are lucky enough to see them so I am thinking of renting a Tokina 11-16mm (2.8) lens , does all of this seem ok?

I'm hearing good things about the canon 10-18, and I'm thinking of purchasing one myself very soon, I was looking at another sigma 10-20 but the lower cost of the canon is more appealing:)
As for filters, it depends on budget really. I've just ordered a 72mm Camdiox 10 stop from srb-photographic on eBay for £26 after reading good reviews on it. At the top end you have Lee, Heliopan etc etc and plenty in between like NiSi, Hoya, Tiffen, Haida. I used to have the Haida 10 stop and was quite pleased with it, but from what I've read, the Camdiox gives less colour cast.....

Enjoy your Iceland trip, Its a place I'd love to visit with the camera one day. Look forward to seeing your images from there.

I assume that you already have a decent tripod and remote release?? Otherwise long exposures may be a bit tricky!!!

If possible I would invest in a 3 stop, 6 stop and 10 stop filters (typically x8, x64 and x400 (or x1000)). I use Hoya, as I like them, but there are plenty available, some with more colour cast than others. If you think that you are going to get much biggers lenses in the future, ie larger filter ring, I would buy filters for that size and stepping ring to convert up from 67mm, so they fit on the 10-18 (eg buy 82mm and get 67-82 stepping ring

Back