Icons and their demise – the D700 and D750

Edit My Images
No
To introduce another light hearted thread as much has been mentioned of the D700

“I’m a grumpy old man” these days and maybe a romantic for the past.

It always happens,

The original MGB was marvellous – the last in line had rubber bumpers to suit our US Colonies …… a terrible machine …… I have one after a long line of chrome bumpers ……… same with the Midget

The Triumph TR range …….. marvellous until they produced the last one, the TR7/8 .. again for across the pond ….. a load of sh1t .. who ever designed that

Nikon F bodies – original F – a work of art …… then we finally had the F80/100 ….. enough said

Same with the Mustang …….. sorry David

Heuer watch … really sweet until TAG Heuer came along ….. only for “tarts” now – sorry if you have one

Almost happening to the Rolex Submariner – mine from the mid 70’s is just marvellous – the 2010 I wear everyday is good …. but not the same - what will the future bring?

The E Type JAG – the last model the V12, was a “dog” it really was ……. the first, the 3.8 was a dream, (if you were a midget - but that's not important)

And look at what has happened to James Bond movies

I could go on and on and on

Levi jeans …….

I have a D300, had if for sometime … gave me everything I wanted, (?) look what happen after that to the D3xx – they added another x, that's all and buggered the number …… even the D300s was polluted by video ……what was that all about ….. D300 series is now dead … the only icon is the D300

I bought my D700 just a few months ago – the big Brother of the D300, marvellous ……….. look at were the Nikon D7xx is heading ……… we now have the D750. ……… the D700 is an icon? ………

you never know until after they have passed

Icons never stay …….

Remember I am a grumpy old man at heart

What are your icons? and "dogs"

Last edited:
Much as I tend to agree with some of the above points, especially the MG ones, modern stuff is almost always better than the old stuff. Having said that, my "posh" watch is a '59 Rolex and I wouldn't replace it if it broke - I'd just keep the corpse! I have several other watches that keep far better time and don't need to be worn every day to do so, the Rolex was Mum's wedding present to Dad so has far more sentimental value than intrinsic to me. Surely the F6 would be the successor to the F? I would love an E-Type but in real life, Mrs Nod's car is rather better, a hell of a lot cheaper and (IMO) better looking than the F-Type (not even close to the E-Type in good looks though!) Bond movies? Well, SC is the one true Bond with the later models (and I use that term advisedly in RM's case!) are pale imitations, although the current incumbent is reasonably close to IF's Bond. Still got my D700 but haven't used it much since I bought into the Fuji CSC system - other than UWAs (sub 15mm 35mm EFL), the Fuji seems to outperform the Nikon in many respects and is far easier to carry round than the Nikon system!

Much as I tend to agree with some of the above points, especially the MG ones, modern stuff is almost always better than the old stuff. Having said that, my "posh" watch is a '59 Rolex and I wouldn't replace it if it broke - I'd just keep the corpse! I have several other watches that keep far better time and don't need to be worn every day to do so, the Rolex was Mum's wedding present to Dad so has far more sentimental value than intrinsic to me. Surely the F6 would be the successor to the F? I would love an E-Type but in real life, Mrs Nod's car is rather better, a hell of a lot cheaper and (IMO) better looking than the F-Type (not even close to the E-Type in good looks though!) Bond movies? Well, SC is the one true Bond with the later models (and I use that term advisedly in RM's case!) are pale imitations, although the current incumbent is reasonably close to IF's Bond. Still got my D700 but haven't used it much since I bought into the Fuji CSC system - other than UWAs (sub 15mm 35mm EFL), the Fuji seems to outperform the Nikon in many respects and is far easier to carry round than the Nikon system!

Thanks Ethel

you agree then, icons ………. are not necessary "better" …. but they are the best

just added "dogs" to what are your icons

The XJS V12 was a dog - went like uncontrollable hell on 12 cylinders then after a mile or 2 decided that it would just use 6

Last edited:
But a sorted one (remember that they were built by BL...) will stay on 12! (Still dog ugly though, I'll give you that!). Compared to a Mk 1 E-Type DHC, the Mk 3 2+2 is comparatively ugly but compared to other GTs of the era, it's no munter!

So nikon upgrades D610, calls it D750 and you complain. They add video and you complain. Don't use or don't buy it if you don't like it. Stick with D700 and horrible vintage petrol scrap and hugely overpriced 70's watch.

/thread

So nikon upgrades D610, calls it D750 and you complain. They add video and you complain. Don't use or don't buy it if you don't like it. Stick with D700 and horrible vintage petrol scrap and hugely overpriced 70's watch.

/thread

Chill man - as Jeremy C may say

I did not say I would not use it or buy it - did you not read the opening words of the thread

"To introduce another light hearted thread as much has been mentioned of the D700"

I thought that it may break part of the tension

maybe you can't but no worries

Last edited:
The Triumph TR range …….. marvellous until they produced the last one, the TR7/8 .. again for across the pond ….. a load of sh1t .. who ever designed that
Cars
Ah yes I owned a long door TR2,
Cost about £50 IIRC
noisy, draughty and heaters were optional extra's.
The hood had to be lowered by hand,
a steering wheel the size of the road wheels (well almost ;) )
No power steering you see.
All this powered by a 2L Massey Ferguson engine.
Yep I wish I still owned it,
they are worth a fair bit more these days :)

V6 3L capri MkII & MkIII a total nightmare in the wet,
pretty quick in its time, easy to work on.
Superseded by the 2.8i (Pepper-pot wheels)
Slight improvement, still fun to drive, but then
they had it cracked with the next model 2.8i special,
Still a bit of a handful in the wet,
had to be treated with a little respect, but a hell of a lot of fun to drive.
Yep a true icon :)

Watches,
The Casio (IIRC? ) "digital" red background pretty much impossible to read :D
Not exactly an icon was it?
I doubt I've ever paid more than a tenner for a watch.
I never wear one these days, and never bought into the
time piece "set"

Vinyl record players, superseded by players with less and less dynamic range and minus soul, downward slope still going downhill.

iPod Classic is no more. Shame as the 120gb iPhone 6 isn't available.

Easy to control.

Got a Rolex sea dweller pre large lumens on the dial and 39mm case. The newer ones don't look as good.

W211 e class Mercedes. Had 2, the w212 doesn't look as good.

BMW e39 5series m5. The car I always wanted but never quite managed to have. There's not been a finer high performance saloon before or since

The original Classic Star Trek, of which is not only timeless but how it "got it right" with today's technology (the huge widescreen TV, the iPad, the compact storage device, even some of McCoy's medical equipment now rings true) - however, what are still being worked on is faster-than-light speed and teleportation - oh, and food replicators.

Fast forward to the recent dog that was "Enterprise". Could have been a good idea in theory but the whole thing fell short on many counts . . . and don't get me started on J. J. Abram's efforts with the two most recent movies.

Last edited:
Scotland pré indépendant could turn out to be an icon or after

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
James Bond films these days are not a patch on the Connery/Moore era

Connery maybe but most of the Moore films were cartoons.

I much prefer the new generation with more believable action , they needed to be modified to attract a younger audience as old farts don't go to the cinema, they just sit in waiting for it to come on TCM

Moore was always the Saint playing at spies.

I'm not into cars so for me it's bikes
Yamaha 350LC and LC2 I've still got my LC2
Kawasaki Z900 :)

As for cameras the Canon A1 still got it but don't use it now

Mine is a bit different. The 1950's Ferguson tractor I started driving on our small dairy farm at 12. Small, neat with a complete set of matching implements, we didn't have them all, just the ones we needed. The huge machines they have now for use on the arable 'factory' farms are ugly monsters in comparison.

I also have a D700 and having seen what's available now I'm hanging on to that.

Last edited:
Back