ID help please

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Saw these this morning and completely confused on what it is. Both birds look to be the same species. One looking to be melanistic as the shape is the same or a male??? Unfortunately this is the only shot of the dark one that wasn't blurred completely.

Help on ID would be greatly appreciated:)

whatisit.jpg

I would say female Song Thrush on right and a Leucistic Male on left Martin.

Its hard ro see but the pale one has light blue and pale orange.

I thought song thrush too but colours and spots look worng to me.

The darker one is the same shap and patern as the pale one. Wish I got more shots of him to show its not a black bird:(

Hope it is ok in this intance Martin and will remove if you wish. Crude edit but just trying to shed a bit more detail on the right hand bird for what it`s worth :shrug:

whatisit.jpg

It sure is a strange one Rich, does look a bit Leucistic, and Ive Ive never seen a whites thrush as suggested, other than in photographs either

Thats all OK Rich and brings more details :) Thanks for the edit

Looked at pics of Whites Thrush and not sure.

This pair caught my eye the minute they turned up

Now the more I look at them the more I also think song thrush and Leucistic Male

Last edited:
It's not easy to judge from those shots or really to see the shape of the spots. Are we ruling out a Mistle Thrush - possibly a youngster?

With regard to the right hand bird I find it's not at all unusual to see thrushes in the company of Blackbirds and feeding close together so that may be the obvious answer?

Mistle Thrush...

IMG_1523 1 by tonky8203, on Flickr

Last edited:
It's not easy to judge from those shots or really to see the shape of the spots. Are we ruling out a Mistle Thrush - possibly a youngster?

With regard to the right hand bird I find it's not at all unusual to see thrushes in the company of Blackbirds and feeding close together so that may be the obvious answer?

Glad you said Mistle Thrush, was trying to find a shot i took a couple of weeks ago ,the bird was very pale like the bird in this post (y)

The only other MT shot I have with more of a side view of the head....

IMG_1537 1 by tonky8203, on Flickr

They're quite a big bold bird compared to a Song Thrush.

Heres a closer one of I think the pale bird if not the same type. Head looks darker as do the wings.

Excuse the quality

Whatisit1.jpg

Last edited:
Mistle Thrush for sure going by those round spots. The Song Thrush is smaller and the spots are shaped like upward pointing arrow heads.

Back