ID needed please Redpoll ?

Name
Nicki.
Edit My Images
Yes
This little person just landed on my feeder outside the window, grabbed the camera (flicked it on to auto to make sure I at least got a shot) and it was through the glass.

No crit needed as I know it is crap but just wanted to snap a shot to know what it was :shrug:.

IMG_9951.jpg

Linnet or Redpoll :shrug:

Last edited:
My first thoughts were a Linnet ..... Now not sure!
Look forward to someone being able to ID this positively :)

Shame it was through glass :bang: now sitting here with window open ready if it comes back, it is bloody freezing :LOL:

Could someone tell me the difference between a Linnet & a Redpoll? :)

Could someone tell me the difference between a Linnet & a Redpoll? :)
linnet
A small, slim finch, widely distributed, and once very popular as a cage bird because of its melodious song. Males are attractively marked with crimson foreheads and breasts, females much browner. It can be flighty and has an undulating flight, usually twittering as it flies. Now it is declining, in common with many other birds which use farmland, and is a Red List species.

redpoll

The lesser redpoll is a small brown streaked finch with a distinctive red forehead, small black bib and, in breeding males, red upper chests. This contrasts with largely pale under parts (streaked on the flanks). Its UK breeding population has declined and it is on the Red List. They are often found in flocks, occasionally with siskins. It has recently been split from the common or mealy redpoll, a larger and paler species.

mealy redpoll

The mealy redpoll is a small finch. It is larger and paler than the very similar lesser redpoll. It is streaky brown above and whitish below with black streaks. It shows two white lines on the folded wing. It does not breed in the UK, but is a passage migrant and winter visitor, particularly to the east coast.

regards ian

I prefer your Tits myself :shrug:

its a male Redpoll. Would need to see a little more of its flanks to tell if its a Lesser Redpoll or a Mealy Redpoll. Strangly a Mealy Redpoll is also called a Common Redpoll but its much rarer in the UK than the Lesser Redpoll.

Last edited:
(y)
its a male Redpoll. Would need to see a little more of its flanks to tell if its a Lesser Redpoll or a Mealy Redpoll. Strangly a Mealy Redpoll is also called a Common Redpoll but its much rarer in the UK than the Lesser Redpoll.

Hopefully it will return today so can get a better piccy of it. (y)

Back