Critique Ideas for improvement please!

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
I had camera set for one subject when something startled this flock and they appeared in my viewfinder, I did my best to adjust my positioning but had no time to adjust settings. I sort of like the picture and may try to shoot again deliberately, I realise the shutter speed was to slow and perhaps aperture to small, I am thinking 1/1000 min and possibly f12 plus better framing so less reeds ?

850mm f9 1/500 iso1000 on a cloudy early morning. Spot focus and Exposure.
Ducks in Flight.jpg

Hmm 850mm @f9 . ISO 1000 and only 1/500th sec?

Personally I would have pushed my ISO to enable say 1/1600th sec if your camera can handle high ISO- fast shutter speed for me personally is a no brainer and maybe f6.3 not f9

I never shoot birds in flight at less than 1/1600th sec or 1/2000th sec - but as I say depends on the camera's ability to handle the increase in ISO

This image exif is 1/1600th sec f6.3 @ ISO 5,000 ( yes five thousand on ISO) Sony a7Riii + Sony FE 200-600mm lens

DSC06347 Early moring fly by by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Hope this helps Steve?

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm 850mm @f9 . ISO 1000 and only 1/500th sec?

Personally I would have pushed my ISO to enable say 1/1600th sec if your camera can handle high ISO- fast shutter speed for me personally is a no brainer and maybe f6.3 not f9

I never shoot birds in flight at less than 1/1600th sec or 1/2000th sec - but as I say depends on the camera's ability to handle the increase in ISO

This image exif is 1/1600th sec f6.3 @ ISO 5,000 ( yes five thousand on ISO) Sony a7Riii + Sony FE 200-600mm lens

by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Hope this helps Steve?

Les :)

Les,

Thanks for taking the time to offer advice. I went out again today and setup for 1/1600 at f9 (minimum on lens combo) with iso set to auto. Unfortunately, although I saw the same flock several times they never came close enough (Jeremy hinted as much). Even the Buzzards did not want to co-operate on a dull windless day, so forced out at 840mmm again. Tomorrow is another day and I shall try again. 1st was at 1/1600 the second 1/640 just to experiment, so I will try pushing iso to keep 1/1600 minimum.

Buzzard aa.jpgBuzzard aaa.jpg

Les,

Thanks for taking the time to offer advice. I went out again today and setup for 1/1600 at f9 (minimum on lens combo) with iso set to auto. Unfortunately, although I saw the same flock several times they never came close enough (Jeremy hinted as much). Even the Buzzards did not want to co-operate on a dull windless day, so forced out at 840mmm again. Tomorrow is another day and I shall try again. 1st was at 1/1600 the second 1/640 just to experiment, so I will try pushing iso to keep 1/1600 minimum.

View attachment 312849View attachment 312850
Which lens are you using?

Sigma 150-600 with TC 1.4 not ideal but I think I will be saving for a big fast lens forever, I would love a Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR but the I would have to sell the house to afford it.

I see- f9 because of the TC? take it off and drop to f8 or even f6.3 more than enough DOF for birds and the shutter speed will increase as a result :)
A 600mm prime has been a dream of mine- but Sony 600mm f4 is a cool £12,000 o_O

Les

I see- f9 because of the TC? take it off and drop to f8 or even f6.3 more than enough DOF for birds and the shutter speed will increase as a result :)
A 600mm prime has been a dream of mine- but Sony 600mm f4 is a cool £12,000 o_O

Les
Its a constant battle with my chosen subjects at 600mm the crop is to much. So frustrating seeing the shot you want without the reach to get it !!!
Especially when others 5m away have those lovely long and fast lens !!!!!

At the moment health ( and lockdown) restricts my locations and mostly at an RSPB reserve where access it not allowed (obviously). I hope to be able to choose my locations again in the near future so 600mm will be OK and I can start getting the shots I want hopefully. The Nikon lens I dream of would give no change from a cool £15k o_Oo_O:p

Thanks again for your input

If you're having to crop on the heavy side, don't use the TC, more light and lower ISO @600mm will give better detail then 800mm unless you're filling the frame.

And as said above, 1/500th is no good @800mm for fast flying Wigeon, min 1/1250th

Trying a different lens - Sigma 70-200 iso 100 195mm f4 1/1250 late afternoon when sun was low in the sky. Trying to get a better composition. I am thinking I should crop top land and a bit to the right. PP to tone down whites ?
Little Egret.jpg

Back