I'm no Lez.

Edit My Images
Yes
Cracking set- love the last shot - Amanita muscaria ( fly agaric) the light is simply lovely, just a shame it has insect damage

that said a quick fix in CS 5 with a slight crop, to throw the subject off center..........................:p

The Roe Deer on my patch love to eat these- and as they contain Hallucinogenic properties I can't really understand why the love them so much :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Les ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
These are a terrific set of images with beautiful colours and good composition. If you don't mind me saying I think the slight crop that Les has done to the last shot does improve the composition. "Great stuff".(y)

George.

Thanks guys. I tried it with an off centre crop, but thought with it being a big bold statement i would place it centre stage. Horses for courses i guess though i wouldn't argue with Les. (y)

Terrific set. I love the clarity, colours, compositions and, in #2, #3 and #4 especially, the background renditions.

Thanks guys. I tried it with an off centre crop, but thought with it being a big bold statement i would place it centre stage. Horses for courses i guess though i wouldn't argue with Les. (y)

I might have cropped a bit to get rid of the very dark band in the upper two thirds of the right hand side, but not as much as Les has done. Something like this perhaps.

NOT MY IMAGE - TOp cat mushroom crop
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last year at my local photography club (Melton Mowbray) one member who is very keen on fungi shots explained how he did them.

He used one or even two flashes (if I remember correctly - something that is always in doubt) and reflectors so tht he could get thelight where he wanted.

On entering the wood he kept an eye out for a suitable piece of wood that he could use as background to remove distractions and he collected moss for the same reason. Even then he used a small brush or stick to remove intrusive leaves and twigs (eg the sticky up leaf in 3 seems distracting to me).

He said he could take an hour or more getting the scene ready for his shots - which were excellent.

Having said all that you have some excellent images there and seems to me that if you similarly prepare the scene really well and then think a little more about composition/positioning of main subjects in the frame you could get some really top notch shots.

Have you thought about B&W fungi shots eg an image of the white fungi with a green background could be stunning in B&W

These are all excellent. I particularly like #2, with what looks like the woodland trailing off into the distance. I would be tempted to crop further to take the mushroom more to the right, as with the fly agaric shot (in fact I would take Les' crop a bit further). Not so keen on number 3 but this is largely because of the quality of subject.

I don't like this thread as you have praised Les right off the bat! Lol

Great set mate and don't praise that useless bugga again ok ;) it's not good for your health.

Cool photos last is a cracker for sure. Off camera flash ? Any chance you could give some more info on that ?

Gaz

Cool photos last is a cracker for sure. Off camera flash ? Any chance you could give some more info on that ?

Gaz

Yes, the flash was off camera. I exposed for the background just enough to add colour then tried the flash in every position around the subject. It was as big as it looks and almost every angle gave some blown out sections on the stem and lip. in the end i turned the speed/power right down on the flash and placed about two foot to the left of camera.
I did a re-edited last night after listening to Les the Fungixpert. I am still torn between the two versions as i kind of like the aged and nibbled top piece. Here is version two anyhow.

Oh and i might have taken a picture of my first Globby by mistake. if you look on the right side of the stem near the top you can just see one ( i think ) walking down. :wacky:

Amanita muscaria ( fly agaric) re-edit. by T0P cat, on Flickr

[QUOTE="Tintin124, post: 6534529, member: 68794"]I don't like this thread as you have praised Les right off the bat! Lol

Great set mate and don't praise that useless bugga again ok ;) it's not good for your health.[/QUOTE]

Bugga off Bryn :D

Yes, the flash was off camera. I exposed for the background just enough to add colour then tried the flash in every position around the subject. It was as big as it looks and almost every angle gave some blown out sections on the stem and lip. in the end i turned the speed/power right down on the flash and placed about two foot to the left of camera.
I did a re-edited last night after listening to Les the Fungixpert. I am still torn between the two versions as i kind of like the aged and nibbled top piece. Here is version two anyhow.

Oh and i might have taken a picture of my first Globby by mistake. if you look on the right side of the stem near the top you can just see one ( i think ) walking down. :wacky:

Amanita muscaria ( fly agaric) re-edit. by T0P cat, on Flickr
could you pass that comment on to Bryn :D:D:D

Nice edit by the way it's a proper Fungi shot now

Les :banana:

Hiya

Thanks for the info. Fab images for sure .

Gaz

....Nah, you're hallucinating! No Globby there, TC - You're not meant to eat the subject! :D

An excellent start on such a subject. Very rich, Rembrandt-esque atmosphere and colour like some of your excellent mini-beast pictures.

I remember when you very first started DSLR photography, my boy :D - You have overtaken me!

Btw, excellent as the advice is on Talk Photography, be aware that some folks here follow very strict rules about composition etc - Best to listen but to follow your own heart and not become so rigid. I have learnt a lot from being here and having debates though - All to my benefit.

Thank you very much Robin. Your comments when i started taking photographs really encouraged me to continue.

Btw, excellent as the advice is on Talk Photography, be aware that some folks here follow very strict rules about composition etc - Best to listen but to follow your own heart and not become so rigid. I have learnt a lot from being here and having debates though - All to my benefit.

I agree completely with what you are saying here. I have found the critique leans heavily towards technical aspects and subject matter, rather than the whole feel of the photograph. This is to be expected as people like to agree with each other in general on forums and technicalities are easier to agree on much more so than artistic impression. I personally very much appreciate all the critique on here and not just critique on my own photographs as each and every opinion can be learned from if you take the personal (to you) aspect out of it. Another aspect which i like is, the critique has more depth as a communication rather than collecting likes the rest of the world seems to have adopted. All though it feels nice to have our pictures liked the speed in which we learn and develop will be slower if we already think we take amazing pictures.

Just love the colours and clarity of these shots. Well done!

Back