Critique Immature Female Common Darter Dragonfly

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Our garden seems to have suddenly attracted quite a few dragonflies over the last day or so. Spent a fairly pointless hour or so this evening trying to catch one in flight as it chased round the garden over and over again (none of those shots came out particularly well). However just as I gave up and started taking some pics of butterflies, this little one landed on one of the bushes, very small compared to the other ones that were flying around but really obligingly sat there for quite some time while I took a couple of hundred shots with various lenses :LOL:

First time I've ever got up close to a dragonfly let alone been able to take pics of one so quite pleased at that at least.

Crit very welcome and out of morbid curiosity can someone ID it for me please. :)

Immature Female Common Darter Dragonfly
by Ian-Highlander, on Flickr

Immature Female Common Darter Dragonfly
by Ian-Highlander, on Flickr

Last edited:
oh thats it, take the mickey with your flamin' dragon flies going into your garden ;)

what the plant that its landed on ian, I thought it was a pine cone for a second and had to have a double-look?

oh thats it, take the mickey with your flamin' dragon flies going into your garden ;)

what the plant that its landed on ian, I thought it was a pine cone for a second and had to have a double-look?
No idea what it's called so had to Skype Amy and ask her to go take a pic of it (I'm at work), quick camera phone shot of the bush that the butterflies and dragonflies seem to like so much.

View attachment 16636

Awesome two shots there :) #2 wins for me!

I'd definitely try to clone out those cobwebs though hehe

A couple of cracking shots....................................:)

I'm told it's a female Black Tailed Skimmer apparently.

I always get them wrong but it looks like a immature female Common Darter, (Sympetrum striatum), to me

Mark will be along to confirm or otherwise

Lovely shots and always great to see in nature

Last edited:
I always get them wrong but it looks like a immature female Common Darter, (Sympetrum striatum), to me

Mark will be along to confirm or otherwise

Lovely shots and always great to see in nature
Comparing pictures of the two on Google, I'd agree with you. My knowledge of Dragonflies is almost non-existant so just took the guys word for it on another forum. Thanks, will update the titles on Flickr and the thread.

Super shots of the Black Tailed Skimmer, you will get plenty more if it comes in your garden again, they will sit still more than other Dragons, with a bit of luck you'll get the male to go with it :)

Back