Immature Little Owl

Name
Will
Edit My Images
No
Here is a photograph of an immature little owl.
This was an amazing evening! I was sitting in the hide for the first time at the site, and had already seen signs of droppings on my perch that I had set up etc.

Within an hour and a half of waiting, I looked up and saw a young one sitting on the top of a barn wall stretching its neck. A little later and I heard a screech to my right. Looking round, I saw another (mature) little owl swoop into the tree just a few feet from my head. Then it vanished, and a few minutes later I looked to the left to see the owl sitting a few feet from my hide windowm on the same gnarled branch that is in this photo, just staring at me. Then craning round even further I saw this immature owl sitting even closer to me! It then flew at the adult owl and forced it off the perch. I then took this shot!

It was an amazing evening and just great to watch. Anyway, I'll be back there most days now!
If you are a 500px.com fanatic you can have a look at it there, and even vote if you like, at this link http://500px.com/photo/1056703
immaturelittleowl.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely image Will. The way the branch frames the little chap is terrific and the oval of the branch framing the highlight to the left mimicking the owl's form is a brilliant bit of composition/cropping/luck/just reward for being there at the right time and getting the shot (delete as appropriate).

Last edited:
Awesome, this has to be my favourite owl picture to date.

Those owls are so cute. A definite calendar shot if ever I saw one (y)

Awesome shot - good prep work to make sure you were in the right place at the right time - awesome! :)

Superb shot of something you dont see very often (...make that never for me)
(y)

See he is starring on the front page of popular photos on 500px with a 97.5% rating. Well deserved. Congrats.

Back