In camera Wifi. How good is it?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Many recent cameras come equipped with Wifi. And many have compatible smartphone and tablet apps. And there are Wifi SD cards too.

Does anyone get benefits from these facilities? Are they as useful as they look? Do you use the app? For transfer or remote viewfinder? Or directly connect to the internet or home network for backing up?

Sure some of the old Wifi solutions were not great. But I'm more interested in the state of the art now, than horror stories from early attempts, or how cameras should never have wifi. (You know who you are'-)

Last edited:
Yep i use it fairly often on my A7R, great for sending photos to my phone, tap phone to the side of camera and the photo in the viewfinder magically appears on my phone with no button presses, NFC is great.
Can also do the same and use the phone as a remote control, or use my phone to act as a tether and download new apps to my camera while out and about.

Handy to be able to use a tablet as a wireless remote for my Fuji X-T1 (and as of tomorrow [with luck!] X30). I can transfer files from camera to device as well but don't since I don't use the tablet as a viewing device (or for editing).

a6000 works quite well, apart from the windows phone apps dont want to connect to it
but can wifi share pics to our telly which is cool

i have a eyefi card but not used it in awhile, but it suffered from annoying niggles :/

Have a Samsung NX30 and use the wifi for remote access. Works great.

I use it on my 70D sometimes to transfer the shots directly to the PC to view. It works well but it's not as fast as I'd like.

I use a Toshiba FlashAir card, and in conjunction with their app on my phone and tablet find it great for previewing my shots on a 'big' screen vs the cameras LCD. I can also download JPEGs and RAW direct from the FlashAir card so have 'on the go' back-ups.

I have it on the 6D and I don't think it is very good, it only works for file transfer in JPEG and I shoot mostly RAW. The Iphone app for controlling the camera is mereley a novelty because it is way too slow to be any use. Sorry to be blunt but I thought it would be way better than it actually is.

I use a Toshiba FlashAir card, and in conjunction with their app on my phone and tablet find it great for previewing my shots on a 'big' screen vs the cameras LCD. I can also download JPEGs and RAW direct from the FlashAir card so have 'on the go' back-ups.
Same here, wish it would work with RAW.

I use Eye-Fi cards on a 5D Mk 3 sending to an iPad, mostly for low light situations and when I have the time to reveiw shots on lacation, it is great for seeing what you are getting or not getting. Transfer speed is about 3-4 secs for a large jpeg so it is very practical.

So nothing to worth worrying about for now as it's too slow for RAW is what I am taking from this?

Back