Beginner India - holiday of a lifetime

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Have the opportunity to visit India again. Both my wife and I are keen amateur photographers. Having been together for over 40 years, we think alike, even when it comes to taking photos of particular things. Howard and Hilda syndrome!
What could I do to take a different slant on things? Should I take a theme or two on board? Colour? Street life?

Hey since you are visiting India, you should try tiger photography workshop which will be held in Ranthambore (Rajasthan) during this April by Mr Sudhir Shivam .He is one of the leading & well renowned wild life photographer of India . Trust me i've been to this place & its awesome specially the tigers & leopard , i cannot express you in words how thrilling it was . So don't miss the change give it a try .

You could travel with only 2 primes - a wide angle and a telephoto - that would be sure to yield different result.

It depends on what cameras you have but on FF I would take something like a 35mm and an 85mm (and maybe something wider like a 24 or 20mm).

You use one, your wife uses the other and you are bound to come up with different results.

It depends on what cameras you have but on FF I would take something like a 35mm and an 85mm (and maybe something wider like a 24 or 20mm).

You use one, your wife uses the other and you are bound to come up with different results.

Sal has a D5200 and mine is the D7000. I love it to bits for the sports stuff I do.

I guess you could use a tele or zoom & your wife stick with something wide.

My Niece & her BF spent about 3 months touring. Being fairly new to photography they only had a couple of kit lenses & a D5100 & I was VERY impressed with their images. https://www.flickr.com/photos/128313340@N03/with/15527297616/

Thanks for that. I think that the CLEANERS shows an amazing perspective on life for all sorts of reasons. Might show that to the kids I teach on Friday morning and ask them what they think. Just the sort of thing I was looking for.

I've been to India quite a lot and my photos were almost always disappointing because they cant possibly match up to the wonder of the place!

How about only taking photos of people after you've had a conversation with them? It'd force you to engage with them much more than just being one of many tourists pointing a camera at them and you should get some much nicer portraits because you'll have time to make sure you get it right - but it would need you to be pretty good at saying no to yet another tour of their brother-in-laws carpet showroom / art shop / restaurant !

Love the shots from India and notice that it's a prime 35mm lens with the Nikon. Might be cheap, but it is amazing quality, especially the portraits. WOW!

I've been to India quite a lot and my photos were almost always disappointing because they cant possibly match up to the wonder of the place!

How about only taking photos of people after you've had a conversation with them? It'd force you to engage with them much more than just being one of many tourists pointing a camera at them and you should get some much nicer portraits because you'll have time to make sure you get it right - but it would need you to be pretty good at saying no to yet another tour of their brother-in-laws carpet showroom / art shop / restaurant !

My wife Sal, is absolutely brilliant at that. She can tease a portrait out of anybody. I'm not too bad with kids but Sal can charm anyone.

.View attachment 25487

If you're really that similar then I'd suggest one of you took a couple of prime lenses while the other had a wide ranging zoom.

We were there in 2011, and it was a brilliant place to visit - we'll go back again when we can. As for Ranthambore, it IS good, but very hit or miss as to what wildlife you get to see (we got about 2sec of the backside of a tiger in the space of 2 visits). Also if you go there and are told to dress warmly - do so! And beware buffet food, kept warm for long periods of time (but that's another story).

If you're really that similar then I'd suggest one of you took a couple of prime lenses while the other had a wide ranging zoom.

We were there in 2011, and it was a brilliant place to visit - we'll go back again when we can. As for Ranthambore, it IS good, but very hit or miss as to what wildlife you get to see (we got about 2sec of the backside of a tiger in the space of 2 visits). Also if you go there and are told to dress warmly - do so! And beware buffet food, kept warm for long periods of time (but that's another story).

i don't disagree with you on this .. but things have changed since 2011...last year i went there for some clicks & i enjoyed it thoroughly .

Back