Indoor Sports Shots

Name
Stella
Edit My Images
No
I took some photos of my son this morning after his MMA training session. I wanted some action shots for a school project. I did a bit of research as I wasn't sure about the settings. What I got from that was to put the shutter speed high, at 500 (which in fact I had to go take down to 200 due to the lighting), ISO high (I had to put it at 6400 because it was just too dark), and Aperture I couldn't make as high as usual, because the lighting was just not great inside. But the photos came out very dark & a bit grainy. There was no blur though, on any of the shots. Oh yes and I read to set it to continuous shooting and shot in jpeg which is apparently best for action shots.

I can manage to salvage these, as I don't need to print them very big for his project. But she asked if I wanted to go back to do some more, and she'll arrange it. I don't want to mess up the next one though, so any advice for doing an indoor shoot would be great, please! Not a great deal of natural light in the place, which is the main problem.

a) Please list the kit that you are trying to use

but most importantly:

b) Learn the exposure triangle and how your camera works.
You can ask for 'camera settings' and those that largely don't know what they are doing will be happy to reel off some irrelevant numbers, but the fact is that you need to be able to work those out for yourself.

However there are some basics that you can use:
Use the widest aperture available (lowest number).

In general, for humans, you want a shutter speed minimum of:

1/200th for static portraits
1/400th (ish) for walking
1/800th for running
1/1250th + for sports like gymnastics, ball sports, athletics.

However nothing is going to help you more than you doing the actual hard graft and learning how the camera works.

Apologies, I didn't notice the sport one.

We can help a LOT more if as suggested you tell us what equipment your using.. No point giving you certain advice such as aperture and ISO if your kit isnt up to it ? :)

Indoor sport or winter afternoon/early evening sports are amongst the most challenging to shoot as the light is usually unsatisfactory, especially if you are using les than ideal equipment.

There are denoise processes to help clean up images.

For a training session you could possibly use flash, or rig up better lighting.

We can help a LOT more if as suggested you tell us what equipment your using.. No point giving you certain advice such as aperture and ISO if your kit isnt up to it ? :)
I always forget this!

I have a Canon EOS 700D with the standard lens that came with it, EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens.

I always forget this!

I have a Canon EOS 700D with the standard lens that came with it, EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens.

So you have hit your limitations wiht your equipment ..... so

I wouldn't go over iso 6400 wiht that camera... I cetainly wouldnt go less than the 500 shutter speed you ahve and your lens limits you to f3.5 at its widest point

step one.. get closer if you can and do NOT zoom your lens.. the more you zoom the higher you fstop goes so dont do anyhting that takes it over f3.5

step 2.. a rare occasion i would say shoot in raw.. I am a sports photogrpaher and dont shoot raw myself so the advice you where given was sound to shoot jpg.. however you have a problem and the best thing would be to shoot raw and use post process noise reduction.. try not to over do it though you can make subjects look plasticky

dont use flash or extra lighting :)

So you have hit your limitations wiht your equipment ..... so

I wouldn't go over iso 6400 wiht that camera... I cetainly wouldnt go less than the 500 shutter speed you ahve and your lens limits you to f3.5 at its widest point

step one.. get closer if you can and do NOT zoom your lens.. the more you zoom the higher you fstop goes so dont do anyhting that takes it over f3.5

step 2.. a rare occasion i would say shoot in raw.. I am a sports photogrpaher and dont shoot raw myself so the advice you where given was sound to shoot jpg.. however you have a problem and the best thing would be to shoot raw and use post process noise reduction.. try not to over do it though you can make subjects look plasticky

dont use flash or extra lighting :)
This is amazing, thank you so much!

I always forget this!

Kipax has answered your question on using your current equipment but if you have any budget a faster lens like a 35mm F1.8 will help greatly. Have a look at your last series of shots and consider what distances you will be shooting at and see if you can come up with the best focal length. If it is in a ring then I'd image 35 or 50mm but if it is in a gym and you can wander then far more options

Back