Interesting P/X anomalies

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
I have been thinking about trading in my Leica Q for a Q2 so decided to get some P/X quotes to see what to expect and if it was worth doing.
My Q is like new and comes boxed with everything it came with originally and has extra batteries and a leather half case to go with it, (all of course subject to inspection).
The Q2's quoted against were all in the region of £3000-£3500 except LCE which was a 'Reporter' version at £3900:00
Here's how it went ... quite eye-opening! :-

• LCE £1200:00
  • Park. £1475:00
  • MPB. £1500:00
  • Clifton £1952:00
  • WEX. After receiving a number of emails from them extolling their trade-in facility I tried 6 times over 3 days with iMac & iPhone to get a quote using their trade-in website form (as I did with all of the others). Each time I got to the end of the process successfully completed it returned, "Error please try again". I tried for the 7th time yesterday and it got to the end and returned, "Error, bot detected". Rather than totally give up I sent an email to customer services ... and as at this moment I have had no reply!

What are your thoughts?

I think the comparison would be between what you would end up paying out at each place, rather than the difference in what they offer, as the highest offer may have the highest amount to pay!

I think the comparison would be between what you would end up paying out at each place, rather than the difference in what they offer, as the highest offer may have the highest amount to pay!
I get your point but I was surprised to see the valuation of my kit vary by over £750!
As it happens the lowest p/x quote was for the highest value purchase.

I worked in a camera shop for a while in the 1970s.

The things I learned about buying in second hand stock were...
  1. The shop is not a charity.
  2. Nothing is ever as good as the seller claims.
  3. Sellers who want the best price for their item also want the best price on what they buy.
  4. You always give the best deal to customers who spend a lot with you.
On top of that, never forget that you'll get different offers from different shops, because the buyers will have different experience and will have different amounts in their "buy in" budgets.

I worked in a camera shop for a while in the 1970s.

The things I learned about buying in second hand stock were...
  1. The shop is not a charity.
  2. Nothing is ever as good as the seller claims.
  3. Sellers who want the best price for their item also want the best price on what they buy.
  4. You always give the best deal to customers who spend a lot with you.
On top of that, never forget that you'll get different offers from different shops, because the buyers will have different experience and will have different amounts in their "buy in" budgets.
Point 1 is nonsense and point 2 is irrelevant as kit is always subject to inspection.
Point 3 would apply to everyone and point 4 ... well Leica kit isn't cheap!
The difference between LCE's £1200 on a £3900 deal and Clifton's £1952 on a £3500 deal is stark!

I always look at these things as a "cost to change". Anything you intend to P/X, cars, cameras, electronics, it always comes down to "what is it going to cost me?".

Some dealers demand higher margins, those that tend to pay out more on a P/X tend to be more expensive to buy from (but not always). Also, when I was in the amateur radio business, we looked at how quickly we expected to sell the P/X, and if the buyer was going for something we wanted to shift rather than "normal stock". I once had a Saturday where I took kit from 5 different customers and sold it to 4 of 5, with one guy taking a brand new top of the range radio. Commission was good that day :LOL:

Point 1 is nonsense
As is your assertion that it is nonsense. "Shops exist to make a profit", is a statement that far too many people seem unable to grasp.
and point 2 is irrelevant as kit is always subject to inspection.
which is to miss the point I was taught - that people selling their unwanted kit often think it is perfect when it is not.
Point 3 would apply to everyone
It does not. Some people think that they should be paid top price and in the same transaction be charged the lowest price. Many others realise that life is not, in general, like that and will accept or otherwise the offer made.
and point 4 ... well Leica kit isn't cheap!
Many of us realise that it is over priced these days, unlike their film kit in the 1950s and '60s.
The difference between LCE's £1200 on a £3900 deal and Clifton's £1952 on a £3500 deal is stark!
...but, as you said, subject to inspection, when the prices offered may well change.

As is your assertion that it is nonsense. "Shops exist to make a profit", is a statement that far too many people seem unable to grasp.

which is to miss the point I was taught - that people selling their unwanted kit often think it is perfect when it is not.

It does not. Some people think that they should be paid top price and in the same transaction be charged the lowest price. Many others realise that life is not, in general, like that and will accept or otherwise the offer made.

Many of us realise that it is over priced these days, unlike their film kit in the 1950s and '60s.

...but, as you said, subject to inspection, when the prices offered may well change.
I disagree with all but possibly your last point but don’t wish to just make it an argument between two people.
I think most reasonable people will see the disparity of the experience.

I've always taken kit in to shops in person so they can inspect it first hand rather than rely on my description. Equally, I almost always buy second hand kit from a physical shop rather than rely on their description!

I've always taken kit in to shops in person so they can inspect it first hand rather than rely on my description. Equally, I almost always buy second hand kit from a physical shop rather than rely on their description!
I can see the practical wisdom of that but the actual ability to check available alternatives isn’t practical e.g. Brighton, Burgess Hill & Dursley, as above.

I think most reasonable people will see the disparity of the experience.
I think that most reasonable people will understand that different people have different experience.

I part xed with LCE once the manager quoted me £400 over the phone .when I took it in he actually allowed me £475 for it so was well pleased ,but obviously mine was a mint body

Back