International Orang Utan Day - Paignton Zoo, not Borneo.....

Smashing captures Chris, I'm going to have to visit Paignton ... and leave my bucket & spade behind :D

Any issues with tripods?

It looks like Tatau is about to add the flowers to her hair :)
Another cracking pair Chris.
(Glad the cream is working though :D)

#1 certainly wins on the "cute stakes" (y)

Great to see orangs in a natural setting these are excellent:)

Great to see orangs in a natural setting these are excellent:)

I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry at this one. Paignton zoo is most definitely not the natural environment for an Orangutan (or any other wild animal for that matter) and it makes me shudder that anyone could be so mis-informed to think that it is.

I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry at this one. Paignton zoo is most definitely not the natural environment for an Orangutan (or any other wild animal for that matter) and it makes me shudder that anyone could be so mis-informed to think that it is.

Are you being serious? You have completely miss interpreting what Pete is saying/meaning. Obviously its not there natural environment but OP has negated the wires fencing and anything that signifies a zoo hence giving it the natural look. Also actually fancy commenting on OP shots or you just having a go at others?

Love these shots OP and that flower one is a cutey.

Last edited:
Are you being serious? You have completely miss interpreting what Pete is saying/meaning. Obviously its not there natural environment but OP has negated the wires fencing and anything that signifies a zoo hence giving it the natural look. Also actually fancy commenting on OP shots or you just having a go at others?

Love these shots OP and that flower one is a cutey.

Yes! I am being serious. The chap made a clear and concise statement; there was nothing to interpret. He said, and I quote, "Great to see orangs in a natural setting". How do you know that's not what he meant? Who are you ... his mind reader?

As for the images put up by the OP (and I'm not criticising him for visiting the place or taking the pictures), I prefer the first one as the ape is a bit too hidden in the second for my liking. I would not be able to get shots like this because I will never set foot in Paignton zoo or any other zoo for that matter because I personally don't think it's right. I did visit Paignton zoo once many years ago and I was so particularly appalled by the conditions the elephants were kept in that I swore never to cross their threshold again ... and I never have. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Last edited:

Not sure how to respond to this as you obviously care about the orangs but I was commenting on the photo
it is after all a photo critique section
if you feel that I'm misinformed it may have been better to pm me rather than disrupt the OPs thread

Yes! I am being serious. The chap made a clear and concise statement; there was nothing to interpret. He said, and I quote, "Great to see orangs in a natural setting". How do you know that's not what he meant? Who are you ... his mind reader?

Its called common sense .... Title of the thread "international orang utan day paignton zoo not borneo"

What a strange statement to make about your entitlement to have an opinion... no one said you weren't allowed too, I made the point that you appeared to come on this thread to have a go a someone and not discuss the images being presented.

Last edited:

He said "setting" not "environment", there is a clear and obvious difference :)

Lovely detail and sweeeeet subjects. My monitor isn't the best, but #1 looks like it could do with a touch warming up?

As for the images put up by the OP (and I'm not criticising him for visiting the place or taking the pictures), I prefer the first one as the ape is a bit too hidden in the second for my liking. I would not be able to get shots like this because I will never set foot in Paignton zoo or any other zoo for that matter because I personally don't think it's right. I did visit Paignton zoo once many years ago and I was so particularly appalled by the conditions the elephants were kept in that I swore never to cross their threshold again ... and I never have. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Yeah....Go Warrior!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes: :facepalm:

Lovely images both Chris, and both lovely settings :)

OK - my thread - my response.
I have been going to Paignton Zoo for some time now to photograph these animals.
I have tried to capture them in a way that looks natural and document the development of the youngsters to the best of my ability.
Occasionally I have cloned out the webbing that hangs around for them to climb on, with the intention of maintaining the illusion that they may be in the wild.
The environment that they find themselves in is less than ideal but they are at least happy enough to breed successfully.
I wish with all my heart that mankind had not put them at such great risk.
I had hoped that heading the thread to draw attention to their plight might get a reaction.
All I can do is to continue to photograph them in the hope that some good will come of it.
It might be naïve but it's what I shall continue to do.

Two final things;
Thank you for your kind and constructive comments guys.
And Stuart - although I respect your right to dislike zoos, I resent the implication that I am in some way supporting a regime that deliberately mistreats animals - so to you I dedicate the other shot from yesterday
Young Baboons, Paignton Zoo by chriswilson4646, on Flickr

cheers, cw

I have been going to Paignton Zoo for some time now to photograph these animals.
I have tried to capture them in a way that looks natural and document the development of the youngsters to the best of my ability.
Its not easy is it Chris? as we both know, but you do a consistently good job of it (y)

And Stuart - although I respect your right to dislike zoos, I resent the implication that I am in some way supporting a regime that deliberately mistreats animals -
The way I look at it is, by supporting the (our favourite) zoo's
with our patronage, we hope that it goes some way to keeping the animals in an increasingly happy & enriched environment.
Should the zoo(s) close, its highly unlikely that the animals would be able to be re-located, certainly not returned to the wild.
The only other option of course is destruction.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

you'll fit in well here me thinks

Nice shots Chris, I personally love visiting Paignton Zoo , never been lucky enough to even see the young Orangutans

Les :p

How ignorant and uninformed can a post be? By his own admission, Stuart hasn't visited Paignton Zoo for many years so is probably unaware of their large resident population of wild animals. I've seen foxes, plenty of evidence of badgers and I would be very surprised if thee were no rodents as well. I'll agree that it's not the apes' natural environment but as has been pointed out, if they weren't happy there they wouldn't be breeding. Anything that raises awareness of the plight of endangered animals is a good thing IMO and compared to some zoos, Paignton is very good. Far better than it was when I used to be taken there as a child.

I personally have a bit of a love hate thing with zoo's but in a perfect world there wouldn't be a need for them. The world is far from perfect and I have been lucky enough to have been to the Masai Mara and seeing the animals in their natural environment. It is a truly wonderful experience, well I temper that comment with the amount of tourists that visit and almost turning the place into a zoo! As soon as anything exciting happens (as with my experience when a leopard was spotted) about twenty tourist vans surrounded the animal. Not everyone can afford to travel to the far flung corners of the world to see there favourite animals so zoo's which are well run like Paignton cater for people that can't. Also my assumption is that most of the animals would be captive bred these days and are not dragged kicking and screaming from the wild. They also offer education and breeding programmes which surely is beneficial? I have been to Paignton Zoo twice recently and have both times enjoyed my days out.

Back to the pictures: I think the first one is excellent Chris so keep on going and produce more great images.

I hope you don't mind but here is one I took last year.

Back