Is it Street?

Ideally 'street' would involve a person/persons interacting in some way with the environment - in this case I cannot really see any identifiable interaction and he's a very small part of the image, so I would say no, it's not 'street' ... others may disagree :)

Aren't you supposed to shoot your take on the word "street" rather than the genre that is called street ?

Id agree Gramps, its what i was thinking.

John, everything you shoot is your take on the genre to a certain extent, as POTY is judged i think i need to go as close to the text book version of the genre as i can. And i have no idea what street really is.

FWIW, the wording for October's POTY says :

In this month the title is STREET. This is either the theme or the style - you choose.

Which I'd interpret as either shooting something in a "conventional street photography style" or it being your own interpretation of how to portray the word "street".
Something like the above IMHO definitely fits the second definition.

NB: That's just my opinion as a member and how I'd personally interpret October's theme if I was entering - I'm not speaking on behalf of POTY or in any sort of official capacity.
And I'm not participating in judging POTY for October !!!
(So please don't read something into that which isn't intended to be there)

Last edited:
I think

1) Its a very nice photo

2) 'Street' is your interpretation of things. If it works for you...........

Thanks, it would seem its a long going debate.

Its hard to like some of the random pictures that just seem to be of people, i feel i want more to the picture but feel it may then not become street.

Agreed, but I find, if I take a few moments to look around an image, see the expressions, or the life generally, then it is usually worthwhile. I really like Stephen Shore, yet at first glance can look really banal. As you say, it's a long debate.

Because the main focus is the iconic tower bridge that would definately lean it in the direction of urban landscape rather than street - some of my favourite "street" photos don't actually have people in them at all, so street certainly does not require people in the frame.

Back