Is there a NAF wide-angle lens suitable for close-up work?

Orm

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Is it possible to photograph close-up with a wide-angle lens, typically with an an lens - object distance of < 10cm. have a Nikkor 20mm (FF) but its closest focus is 25cm. I haven't tried an extension tube, but I imagine even the shortest one available would be be too long for it to work.
In case you are wondering why, I wish to photograph a chess board and pieces from a perspective of one of the pieces.

Last edited:
Fisheye lens. For example the Nikon 10.5mm DX fisheye has a minimum focus distance of 14cm. But remember that's from the sensor plane; it's probably about 4cm from the front of the lens. (Other fisheyes are probably similar but the 10.5mm was the first one I had to hand.) You can easily undo the fisheye distortion in Lightroom etc if it's not to your taste.

The definitive list of Nikon lens specs is here: http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/specs.html

There are not many which will focus closer than the 25cm your 20mm f/2.8 can manage, but there are a few:
  • AF 14mm f/2.8 D
  • Ai-S 28mm f/2.8
  • PC-E 24mm f/2.5 D
  • AF DX 10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye
  • AF-S DX 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5
The PC-E 24mm and the 10.5mm fisheye stand out to me as the ones that would be best worth trying, for the creative possibilities they'd offer.

If you're prepared to consider third-party lenses the the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 is worth a look. It focuses down to 1:2 at its shorter focal lengths, just the thing for Lego minifigs like the ones in my avatar.

Last edited:
I had the 28mm 2.8 AI-S mentioned, it gets closer than anything else I'm aware of and is superbly sharp even at 2.8. Highly recommended for close up WA work.

Back