Is there much difference between the Speedlight 430 ex and 430 ex mk2?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I have looked at both of these on amazon and there is only about £10 difference. Are they both considered as good flashes or is one a fair bit better than the other. Seems a bit strange that they should be so close price wise.

There's not a great deal of difference, I think the newer model recycles faster, so you can take more shots more quickly, and charges up more quietly. I've got the original 430EX and have never found it lacking, but if there's only £10 in it, I'd go for the newer model!

The 430EXll has slightly different controls than the Mk1, maybe a bit more power, but my Mk1 has never really been lacking.

Apart from that no real difference as far as I can see

Would i be better off spending another £100 and buying the 580 ex 11? I will be using the flash for mainly portraits indoor if that helps. I am a not sure if it is worth spending nearly £300 on a flash unit but at the end of the day if i will need to do this at some point to improve my pictures i would rather do it now.

the mk 2 has a better hot shoe fixing as well... I decided to go for the MK2 for the faster recycle time mainly, and I got it for 150.. not that much more than a MK1

There's one other improvement that may be relevant and it depends which body you have. The 430EXII can be controlled from the menu in-camera if the body has a Digic III processor or later. This would be the 450D/500D, 40D/50D, the 5DII or 1DIII/DsIII.

Bob

The 580 can act as a flash commander, amongst other things, but the 430 can't (slave only), if this is important to you?

As mentioned, main difference with the 430EXII is the stronger foot design and slightly revised control layout. Power is the same. I would take the newer one for a tenner, but not too bothered. They both do the same things.

580EX is a bit different. It has double the power (about a stop more) and can be used as a Master controller in a multi-flash set up. It also has a pull-up high-light panel which is handy. In addition, the 580EXII is modified like the 430EXII, plus it has an external sensor for use with non-TTL metering cameras.

All excellent guns though.

Edit: oops, crossed post with those above <must not make cuppa while posting>

Thanks guys. Might just go along the route of 430 ex mk2 and buy a redsnapper tripod with the £100 left over.

Back