Is this a good idea?? D610, D7100 combo over D750

Edit My Images
Yes
Basically im considering upgrading to a D750 from a D7100 as i want to start doing some night time photography and going FF would give me the best results but i also enjoy motorsport photography so the AF system in the D750 would be ideal.

The thing is ive just left Jessops and the sales man has told me the AF system in the D7100 is the same as the D750 so there shouldn't be a lot of difference in performance and to tell the truth im happy with the speed of the AF in the D7100. So after talking money and a possible trade in of my D7100 it turns out i would save money keeping the D7100 and buying the D610 for the FF low light capabilities.

So the question is? Is he is talking pie in the sky about the AF systems being the same and does anyone else think this is a good idea??

Jessops salesman....... He is right that both have the 51pt autofocus system, but the D750 has the latest 91k-Pixel RGB sensor as seen in the D4. This should provide better focus performance and image results.

Jessops salesman....... He is right that both have the 51pt autofocus system, but the D750 has the latest 91k-Pixel RGB sensor as seen in the D4. This should provide better focus performance and image results.
Surely the 91k-pixel sensor is for evaluative metering, not autofocus?

TBH, at most tracks, the extra apparent reach the 7100 gives over FF is worth having. Not sure what the 7100's high ISO/long exposure noise handling is like but I would think it's probably fairly good. Unless you're finding the noise obtrusive at final product size (pixel peeping isn't a good idea when trying to judge noise - you'll see every iffy pixel and worry about it when they probably won't even be visible on an A4 or maybe even bigger print!)

As you point out, Jessops have Salesmen who are keen to sell whatever gets the shop the most profit. Surprised he didn't try to sell you Canon instead!

FF will no doubt give you better low light capability but you will lose that extra reach. The af syster in the 7k1 was that out of the d4 and I doubt its any different to thay used in the d750. I would say be cautious as a move to FF may result in you needing to purchase alot of overpriced fx lenses.

I would say be cautious as a move to FF may result in you needing to purchase alot of overpriced fx lenses.

If find this crops up often.

I have found lenses like the Tamron 28-75 & 70-300VC more than adequate and are not any more expensive than DX equivalents. There are alternatives to the manufactures lenses. Also, it widely regarded that the Tamron 24-70 to be a better lens than the Nikon equivalent.

To the OP, the Focus system maybe the same, but I believe the D750 will have a newer processor and should have a better auto ISO range. I'm considering one myself and the camera is generally placed between the D610 and D810. The reviews look good.

Last edited:
Back