Is this a young common Gull

den

Name
Dennis
Edit My Images
No
My wife pointed out to me that we had a visitor in our garden at lunch time, I took a couple of grab shots as it looked so unusual sat in the garden in the snow while the blue tits and robins were doing their trips to the feeders ,how ever after a while I noticed it wasn't for leaving ,I ventured outside were I didn't fly off ,I couldn't see any issues with it but wasn't happy just leaving it their as their are a few cats knocking around so I netted it and checked it out,it was very light and that's when I noticed some blood around the wing,it looks like it was either shot or bitten, however he's safe with me now and being tended to until he is fit and strong again ,we have a large collection of gull at a res just down the road so that's were he's going when he's fit ,must admit he's pretty friendly and likes the cod fillets I bought him...Gull by den9112, on Flickr

It is a common gull, ad winter.

He as now moved just up the road to my friends non working farm,he as provisions for sick birds,he is now eating fully but cant fly yet ,in fact I am just going up just after I have posted this reply

He now prefers mince meat , we have now confirmed he was shot , at the back of my garden about 100 metres or so up the hill and above is a large area of water , quite a few gulls around at the moment , probably good target practice for some idiots , we do get a few lampers around here but we have passed word around to keep a eye out he is stopping with us for a while as he is now in a large aviary were once a couple of crows lived , seems happy enough and when fit he will be away

Glad to hear he/she is on the mend.

Keep us posted.

Here is the birds injury, he is very happy in the aviary ,its quite large with plenty of room, not far away is a large pond with a fair amount of ducks and the usual birds so plenty of natural noises in the environment, he is going to get well fed to build him up then when the weather turns a touch milder we will see if he wants to leave Gull (1 of 1) by den9112, on Flickr

Back