ISO 1600

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
PC153248-2.JPG

Practising with higher ISO in a poorly lit room but results were bad :(
Any tips on how to get better results from using a really high ISO setting?

High ISO's produce alot of noise. Thats why you should only use them when you have to.

The more expensive digital SLR's deal with higher ISO's better but for your camera (and mine) a shot at ISO1600 will produce the degree of noise level you see in your shot.

Perfect exposure on the higher iso's helps if you under expose them at all then you are done for as the amount of noise you'll introduce when trying to bring them up to the correct brightness.

Aside from that your stuck with it im afraid. The best thing to do is just try and not get yourself in situations where you have no light. This shot was iso3200 (imported in raw on auto settings and resized) but due to the light i had to underexpose 2.5 stops to get a remotely holdable shutter speed (1/20th @ 50mm f2.8) as you can see the resulting shot is unusable. iso3200 on the 20D is usable if you expose correctly but not if you underexpose.
MG_9537.jpg

thanks for the replies

Spose I'll have to buy smaller apature lens :(

Will a flash reach about 25m though?

I really need to take shots of a panto/production at a local church but i have to be at the back of the room they perform in.

Will a flash reach about 25m though?

I really need to take shots of a panto/production at a local church but i have to be at the back of the room they perform in.

A good one should, and you can increase the ISO to increase the range.

The guide number GN tells you how powerful the flash is. As the reflectors inside the flash head can adjust to zoom the light then the guide number changes according to focal length.

That one says GN 50 at 85mm equivalent at 100 iso.

Distance x aperture = Gn

so 50 Guide number divided by 25meters = a f2 lens at 100 iso. There is some complicated formula to change the number for different iso's so you can look that up yourself :)

Caveat: I used to just look at a chart on the back of the flash unit back in the days of manual flash so I googled the above info ... seems right though :)

Cant find many details on that one, but it should do, although you might have to bump the ISO to 200 or 400 just to be sure.

Wait till someone with more knowledge of Olympus or one of our experts on flash can confirm it.

(or let Robert beat me to it :D )

thanks for that guys but now it gets complicated

I have a 150mm f4.5 lens to shoot this with. How does the affect things?
Will i have to crack up to 400ISO?? As thats where its at anyhow.

If you really are 25m away then I think you may struggle. The flash will help a bit but you will be mainly using available light.

Any chance of visiting the venue first to see how you get on with available light? Failing that try something that might be similar - shop window display at night?

I have got the FL-50 for my E1 and it seems to be a good flash not quite got to grips with it yet but have had some fairly good results. Glad i bought it over the cheaper olympus flashes.

If you really are 25m away then I think you may struggle. The flash will help a bit but you will be mainly using available light.

Any chance of visiting the venue first to see how you get on with available light? Failing that try something that might be similar - shop window display at night?

Yeah been there already. At ISO 400 im getting a shutter speed of about 30/40 max.
I just pic up every slight movement :(

New lens then?? :(

I have got the FL-50 for my E1 and it seems to be a good flash not quite got to grips with it yet but have had some fairly good results. Glad i bought it over the cheaper olympus flashes.

Nice to hear, reassuring thx

Back