ISO or Sensor Problem - 5D MkII

Name
Garry
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm wondering what the problem is with my 5D MkII.

I've noticed recently there seems to be an awful lot of noise on my images. Given that the Noise is supposed to be quite good on the 5D MkII up to reasonable levels what do you think about these shots....

They are both taken on ISO 100, no manipulation, just saved out RAW file from Lightroom.

1st shot is an 800px reduction saved at quality 60 in Photoshop, second shot is a 100% crop from the original image...

IMG_4034-4a.jpg

IMG_4034-4b.jpg

IMG_9662-4a.jpg

IMG_9662-4b.jpg

There seems to be lots of noise in these images. I'm having to run everything through Noiseware.
All my shots appear to be the same quality.

Do you think there is a problem with the camera as I'm sure at ISO 100 I should be getting crisp & clear shots, could there be a problem with the sensor?

What do people think?

The first image was at iso 125 f/4 1/1600 and looks underexposed, which would explain where the noise is coming from...

The first image was at iso 125 f/4 1/1600 and looks underexposed, which would explain where the noise is coming from...

^^^ Have to agree. From what you've shown, they're about two stops under :eek:

I don't know whether it's relevant but I've had some problems with the camera since I bought it.

It went back to Canon when the IS stopped working on all the lenses, (the software had turned the function off)

And every so often the scrollwheel stops working completely so you can't change any settings with it. (only wany to get it working again is to reset camera & function settings & turn it off & back on, although even doing that last weeknd didn't work) It's going back to canon for that as soon as I arrange it, I just wanted to check whether I need them to look at the noise issue as it seems to be similar on all my shots

another....
IMG_3342-4a.jpg

IMG_3342-4b.jpg

what are your shots like on your 70-200? I do not get these issues on my 5DMKII - have done all the firmware updates? What version of LR are you using? Try processing one using DPP... worth a try?

Hmm... I'm not getting it. I'm not sure I'm looking at noise. At 600mm you have to factor in the air quality between you and the subject. Even at 300mm I've noticed issues simply because the subject is simply so far away with a lot of dirty air in between.

And try as I can, I simply can't see what's wrong with the 24-105 shot.

Currently using Lightroom 2.3 & updated the firmware on the camera 3 or 4 weeks ago to the latest version.

Here's one on the 70-200 f2.8, although this is ISO 200

IMG_0990-4a.jpg

IMG_0990-4b.jpg

I'll have a go at processing using something else....

I look forward to seeing what you come back with from Canons DPP... if no better then I would say contact Canon asap :) Are you a member of the Canon CPS?

I am unable to see the EXIF data on the photos, but wonder if what you are seeing is the extent of the DOF being applied?

To isolate the issue it would be good to compare the results of another MK II - will pm you.

Regards

It took me a little while to see a problem to be honest but once I saw it I did not see it as 'noise' but as posterization. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posterizing

The 100% crop of the background of the football player is probably the best example where the colour gradient is stepped rather than continuous and creates a blotchy effect similar to noise in appearance when viewed at full size.

This can be caused by the PP work flow eg. shoot in 14 bit Raw and process in 8 bit or by a faulty analogue to digital converter on the camera. Probably the easiest way of identifying the problem is to shoot a well exposed Raw image and then convert to a 16 bit tiff with no other processing. If the problem is still apparent then I would suspect the camera A/D conversion.

John

John,

thanks, yes I agree it's different to noise which is why I thought there may be a sensor problem recording the image since it's not uniform like noise but blotchy (albeit very small blotches) - just didn't know what else to call it.

The RAW files show the same blotchyness in all my images although it's easier to see in darker areas than lighter ones but I'm sure it's still there as per the Italy sky above.

I'll try your processing recommendation

Back