Issue with 6D metering

Edit My Images
No
Sometimes when I shoot, I put my 6D in auto ISO mode. I use back button focusing and sometimes I use the 'focus and recompose' technique. My 6D appears to be constantly metering without me pressing the focus button and when I move the center focal point off the subject I metered from, the ISO changes depending on whatever I move the focal point over. Does anyone know a way to stop this happening?

Yes that's normal. You can lock the exposure using the ae button.

So there's no way to ONLY get the camera to meter when I press the focusing button and it will always meter constantly regardless unless I lock the exposure?

Yeah that's correct as far as I know, it has been on every camera I've owned but I don't have a 6d. Use evaluated metering if your having issues with spot metering and recomposing

Last edited:
So there's no way to ONLY get the camera to meter when I press the focusing button and it will always meter constantly regardless unless I lock the exposure?
If you look where you set up your BBF, you'll see all the options, it's completely customisable.

That said, the main reason I use BBF is to separate Focus, Exposure and Shoot into 3 distinct actions (just like with a proper camera). I wouldn't want to lock the exposure automatically as I focussed, because what I'm focussing on is often inconsistent in tone. I like to set my exposure from something I can trust.

Read page 320 of your user manual.

Back