Critique Ist use NIK colour EFEX for colour + B&W

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
I've had the (full) NIK Collection for some time but have not used the Colour Efex 4 module - only Silver Efex and Output sharpening.

When I tried to process the RAW image of this picture (intended to be an abstract of bridge at Southport) the tones of the sky and the bridge were so similar that I couldn't get any real distinction.

As a last resort I opened the image in Colour Efex and tried all the pre-set filters. I found that the filter 'Dark contrast' DID give clear distinction between sky and bridge. The image below is the result, with only minimal tweaking of sliders by me.

6201-1406665808-135dc2096714e18defa1e8d2a3d34341.jpg

I then processed that colour image to produce the B&W one that I had in mind when I took the original photo

6200-1406665803-c239f94ccb724558f0d7db18486a1d65.jpg

This is much stronger than anything I could get by working with the original image out of the camera. Maybe a bit OTT but I was pleased to get anything that wasn't bland.

The main problem I have with it is the apparent white edges to some of the lines - this is normally produced by over-sharpening but that is definitely not the case here. So I can only assume that something within the 'Dark Contrast' filter (maybe my tweaks) has produced them.

But I think the intermediate stage on using the DC filter may be very useful for some images and thought I would pass on my experience with it in case others can benefit:)

Nevertheless I would still welcome constructive C&C of either or both images.

NB others may disagree but I deliberately left the clouds in the top RH corner as the two strongest lines were already drawing attention to that part of the image and it made sense (to me) to leave the clouds as they were.

Last edited:
I prefer the colour one chris, thats a really arty looking photograph fella! yes halo is an issue, more on the 2nd than the 1st. If you could post up the original, you might find other's view of the photograph totally different to how you have and it may be better than both of those conversions :) and if you wouldn't mind, since you have edit set to yes, we could "borrow" the jpg of the original, maybe make some adjustments ourselves to see if it can be sorted and then advise on how we did it.

You should not be relying on processing to bring out the image, except for maybe basic stuff in Camera Raw for instance. The image should stand on its own (unless its a composite) and I think the image would stand on its own, but as you say, it may need a little adjustment to do some separation of the sky from the bridge. Post up the original and lets see :)

Always ready to see what others can do and listen to their views so thanks Carl

Here is the original straight out of the camera. In ACR (PSE 11) the histogram more or less finishes about three quarters of the way across the bottom axis and has a red triangle at the LHS. Before importing to PSE 11 I moved the sliders to brighten it up a bit and create black triangles at both ends, in order to give a wider/full range of tones, but still couldn't get anything (in B&W) out of it as the tones (in B&W) were all too similar.

If anyone else can then great - and more importantliy - tell me what they did:)

6210-1406737761-540ff842df5115c1ebc54516fa060541.jpg

Not better just different. I like light blue skies. A quick and unfinished edit changed aspect to remove clouds and show more of an 'abstract' image. I used LR on it's own. Boosted contrast, highlights, whites and blacks a little, took the blue vibrance and hue down and boosted blue saturation.

Bridge edit
by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yes - it's an option - bit too bright for me though - although I agree removing the clouds does actually add to the abstract effect, so thanks for that

bb copy by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

the first black to white has some halo-ing...is that on the colour one
and the sky seems a bit grainy...as mine does on a silver efex conversion

here is my effort on the original, added red filter, cut contrast a bit and added structure...whatever that means

cheers
geof

Thanks Geof - I was just reading something about filters and their different effects on B&W - but it is something I never really think of

Certainly plenty of ideas coming out for me to try - thanks Carl for suggesting it:)

Back