It's Like Christmas All Over Again!

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Picked up my extension tubes today, well pleased with them.
I can see that they will open up a new area of photography for me, one that I think I'm going to love!

These were done with my kit lens (18-105) which had to be at the big end before I could focus, so I lost f3.5.
I'm in the process of saving for a 50mm f1.8 prime, so once that goes on the tubes I suspect things will be better/ easier.

I'm not looking for C&C on these, just wanted to share through shear excitement - I'm like a young boy at Christmas!
But, if you have any tips on using tubes I'd be happy to hear them.

Macro_Day_One_11-07-07_041 by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

Macro_Day_One_11-07-07_042 by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

Macro_Day_One_11-07-07_040 by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

Thanks

Congrats! I've been playing with mine too, and love them.

With those images below, you could stack them and get the whole thing in focus :) Google "CombineZM".

Good effort, what f stop did you shoot these at? I ask as there is No EXIF attached to the images, so hard to give any advice really :shrug:

May I suggest you try f11 up to f16 - you'll find the dof will increase making for a better shot

Les (y)

Thanks Les,

These were at f4, purely because it was poor light and I couldn't be bothered getting one of my lights out! It was fun to watch the focus point move through the coin though.

Having since read the "A beginners guide to macro" by Hacker, I now know that I should be using the same number of mm of extension as the lens I'm using, e.g. a 50mm lens would need 50mm. All straight forward for a prime, but I don't have one of those yet so I'm not sure if the principle works the same for by 18-105 kit.

I plan on having a good play over the weekend and to which works best!

Go for it Neil, maybe use a tripod to get the desired exposure combination of f11 and a slow shutter speed - Thats what I do- check my flickr account

Look forward to seeing some more shots fella (y)

best advice buy a Macro lens- I have the Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX a splendid lens

Les :D

Hiya Neil,

Congrats on the new extension tubes ... I'm sure you will have a great time using them and maybe we will get to see some more shots (including some for your photo52).

I will have to get myself a set of tubes now, after seeing these shots, especially as I have now got a 50mm prime lens ... sounds like they are just the thing I need to get some macro photography done.

Cheers and enjoy your new toy

Dawn :)

@ Les
Wish I had the money for the macro lens, but with so many things to buy it's a little way down the list!

@ Dawn
The 50mm I believe is a perfect companion for the tubes, it's next on my shopping list!

And yes, I'm sure the tubes will play a part in my 52, and probably my future entries to the POTY, now I have the bug for that too!

Last edited:
<snip> And yes, I'm sure the tubes will play a part in my 52, and probably my future entries to the POTY, now I have the bug for that too!<snip>

Good luck with both 52 and POTY ... I'll be sure to look out for your posts.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Back