Critique Its not a Globbie

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Heres a shot I took in early October, I`ve just given it a boost to brighten it up altho not much was needed, a little sharpened too with a crop.
Thoughts please people, good or bad.
Thought I would brighten up the Macro/closeup section with a late summer bee :)
Thanks

View attachment 26099

Thanks for looking and any C&C is welcome

Its a nice shot Graham I would lighten it a bit more.

Nice bee.

Its a nice shot Graham I would lighten it a bit more.
:agree: think your screen must be super bright and giving you a false view of brightness. ;)

Here is what it looks like with a one stop increase in Exposure and the Highlights pulled down. This raises some halos on the left hand edge of the near flower and foliage against the pink background. I don't know if that would arise if working on the full size original. I did give it a little extra sharpening, but reverted that when I noticed the halos, which the sharpening made worse.

NOT MY IMAGE - Graham Bee LR-2
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Nice bee.

Here is what it looks like with a one stop increase in Exposure and the Highlights pulled down. This raises some halos on the left hand edge of the near flower and foliage against the pink background. I don't know if that would arise if working on the full size original. I did give it a little extra sharpening, but reverted that when I noticed the halos, which the sharpening made worse.

NOT MY IMAGE - Graham Bee LR-2
That does look better but I am on my phone. I really need to better myself with PP.
thanks very muchly :)

I don't mind the slightly underexposed original, perhaps I might have lifted the shadows if it was mine. I am looking through my iPad and the picture came up sideways at first because of the angle I had the iPad, and I prefer the composition that way with the Bee on top.

I don't mind the slightly underexposed original, perhaps I might have lifted the shadows if it was mine.

Good call. Here it is with Shadows lifted a lot, less of an increase in Exposure (0.5 stop vs 1 stop) and much milder reduction in Highlights than before. Looks much better to my eye. The light is less harsh on the bee and there is more to see on the plant and the bee's abdomen.

NOT MY IMAGE - Graham Bee LR Shadows, Highlights, 0.5 Exposure

Last edited:
Thanks Nick, Bryn, Alf and TOp cat, , Nick, last pic looks better and thanks for the time altho little its still time spent.
My monitor brightness has been lowered so hopefully things will be seen better.

Back