Jason Lanier, Nikon to Sony

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I found this interesting. I think he makes some good points on why he left Nikon for Sony.

Thats the third time i've seen this posted this week! lol

lol, I had a look through the forums and couldn't find it ! oh well.

Theres a few cool things about mirrorless. But he fails to mention the things dslrs are best at. Tbh it looks like he got paid for his thoughts.

He has some good points, though he's forgetting the things that make a pro-camera what it is: a lack of fiddly gimmicks and designed in robustness. The thing is that some of what has been tried out for the consumer would also benefit the pro, and I'd guess that Sony have less need to be conservative than canikon.

Personally I really like my Sony SLT.

Thanks Philip. I've not noticed that effect *yet* after a year of use, and I do pixel peep to check sharpness, but I'll certainly look out for the effect. If this were a regular problem then I'd have expected Sony users everywhere to be up in arms - we all produce images with dark areas against skies and light objects against dark backgrounds, so it would seem that *most* of the time it's well controlled.

I don't know why anyone got excited about this video, it's everywhere lately. Seems like one long advert to me too. He's spewing a load of nonsense for the most part, and acting like he's addressing an audience off cam ... there's him and a cameraman there ... and I think he imagines he's better known than he is. Never heard of him before this viral advert.

if he shoots portraits and middle lengths, then he has a huge choice with adapters admittedly. but there is some very fancy sony/minolta glass

He has some good points, though he's forgetting the things that make a pro-camera what it is: a lack of fiddly gimmicks and designed in robustness. The thing is that some of what has been tried out for the consumer would also benefit the pro, and I'd guess that Sony have less need to be conservative than canikon.

Personally I really like my Sony SLT.

There's the opposing view which I personally agree with that it's odd that a "consumer" camera may have all the bells and whistles and gimmicks whilst the "pro" model doesn't have them. As you said, a pro could benefit and I've no doubt that many would.

I've never even heard of this guy before. If I switched to another brand of camera and posted a video would everyone also talk about it as much? Or do I need to patiently wait for the invitation from the brand rep?

Just watched his Niagara Falls Bridal shoot video and all I heard are the words "awesome wicked amazing OMG All keepers" lol.

Back