Jenny - home studio

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
my third 'shoot' since buying some home studio gear a couple of weeks ago, just added another light and a flash meter, I'm learning as I go so C&C welcome please (especially regarding the lighting!)...

494817088_ZgAnW-L.jpg

495235902_EsuM4-L.jpg

494824108_coMpm-L.jpg

495234657_7hy6f-L.jpg

495235771_eLwR6-L.jpg

495085654_cZhaf-L.jpg

495087381_t6ANP-L.jpg

495236264_B5wYo-L.jpg

494827448_HVJ9a-L.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent!

I really like 3 and 4 apart from the little reflection in the lower eye.

for your 3rd shoot these are rather good a few tweaks and they would be even better (y)

but like you say your 3rd shoot with new lights :clap:

md(y)

Nice. What lights did you get?

thanks - Elemental B series 3 head (now 4)...

Excellent!

I really like 3 and 4 apart from the little reflection in the lower eye.

the reflections and having two keylights in the eyes have been my main problem with the pics taken, the keylights problem I've now figured out and sorted by moving the second light a little. The reflection is from the white vinyl floor, I think I must have had the main light angled down too much, either that or I'm going to have to move the floor or put a rug down for head shots - more practice tomorrow!

for your 3rd shoot these are rather good a few tweaks and they would be even better (y)

but like you say your 3rd shoot with new lights :clap:

md(y)

Thanks, I took a total of 86 shots in just over 30 mins - 44 of which were keepers, my first attempt with the lights two weeks ago left me with less than 10!

Last edited:
You should be very pleased with those. At your third shoot... you are obviously striding up that learning curve. Good work :clap:

Thanks, I took a total of 86 shots in just over 30 mins - 44 of which were keepers, my first attempt with the lights two weeks ago left me with less than 10!

now that just shows your paying attension to every detail:D
you know when to hit the button which is half the battle..

i take a similier amount of shots in a 30 min session (y)

then show people about 20 or soof what i consider the best shots / poses/ expressions

md(y)

i'll be keeping an eye on you ;)

great shots, cant wait now to get my lighting setup as MD said will be keeping an look out for your work.

Nice set, maybe the main light is a little low in 5,6,7 but still more than acceptable.

look forward to the next series.

I agree with all of the above, 3 & 4 are beautiful shots, well done:clap: The rest are pretty good too.

More please

Mark(y)

I also think these are excellent shots :clap: helps of course to have beautiful people in front of your lens (y)

thanks for all the comments, she certainly is very pretty which does mike life a lot easier! Next shoot is Monday, 5yr old girl and her Mum :)

Last edited:
Love the last shot , you got a link to the lights you got ?
How bigs your studio

Love the last shot , you got a link to the lights you got ?
How bigs your studio

thanks, the last one is probably my favourite too, mainly because of the way the face is lit!

Lights came from http://www.studio-flash.com/, great bunch of guys to deal with (very helpful if you ever need to call) and superb value for money too imho. I'm using a Lastolite Hilite 6x7 background with a white vinyl train the same size. Room is 8ft 6" wide by 12ft 6" long, so not huge by any means. It all packs away into 2 bags, takes about 20 mins to setup - collapsing the background is a nightmare at first but once you work out how to do it its amazingly quick and easy to do! I'll post up a pic later if I can find my wifes compact (I don't have a wide angle lens!)...

#3 and #4 for me. I love the close-up portraits... Very good setup, carry on and post some more !

Hi

Lovely pictures

Have you done much ps work on these or are they pretty much as shot.

What is you opinion of the hi lite?

Hi

Lovely pictures

Have you done much ps work on these or are they pretty much as shot.

What is you opinion of the hi lite?

Thanks again for all the +'ve comments!

I try to keep the PP needed to a bare minimum, these at most have just had the exposure and contrast tweaked a little (or B+W conversion) and then just been cropped (in Capture NX2) where needed, though I did have to remove a second keylight in Lightroom on some, I have PS CS3 but hate using it!

I don't have anything to compare the Hilite to, but I really like it! You need one light to illuminate the inside and then another aimed at the join with the vinyl train (if you have one). Once you've got the hang of it it's soooo easy to put up and down!

Phil,

These just keep getting better and better. :)

What lighting bits have you bought in addition to the lighting kit? Any more lighting purchases in the pipeline?

Steve

Phil,

These just keep getting better and better. :)

What lighting bits have you bought in addition to the lighting kit? Any more lighting purchases in the pipeline?

Steve

cheers Steve, I think I'm pretty much there for now, with 4 flash heads - two for background and then 1 with a reflective and 1 with a shoot through brolly. I've got two softboxes that came with the kit but they are relatively small and I seem to be getting better results with the brolly's at the minute. The flash meter was a worthwhile buy, tried to convince swmbo that I need a 35mm f/2 tonight but she is starting to get the hump now! Can't quite remember where you are but if you fancy a trip down this way then your welcome to come and have a go before you start ordering your gear...

Very nice set. 3,4 & 9 i really like. I think 1,2 and 8 need a little more work on the white background to bring out the best in them.

lovely set and look forward to seeing the results of yesterdays shoot (y)

Back