Jewellery photography

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
Yes
hi

Been asked to photograph some jewellery products for a main retailer after I did the packaging photo's and they loved em , would a MP e65 macro do the job .. I don't want to turn down the chance ..

Cheers

Rog

Yes it would work but it would be like hitting a nut with a sledge hammer. Unless the jewellery is really small a 1x magnification lens would do I'd expect. If you look on here there are plenty of cheaper options like the Raynox that if you know what you are doing can give top quality results.

hi

Been asked to photograph some jewellery products for a main retailer after I did the packaging photo's and they loved em , would a MP e65 macro do the job .. I don't want to turn down the chance ..

Cheers

Rog

Roger I have to agree with @T0p cat, I wouldn't have thought you needed anything like the MP E65 for what you want to do.

If you take a look at the "Show Us Your Macro Rig" thread on this forum you'll see just what sort of gear everyone is using to get the really excellent shots they do without spending quite so much.

George.

Yeah, suspect MP-E would give too much magnification for what you are after. I did some "product" shots of a ring for a mate who was selling it last year. I used an extension tube for these, and this probably wasn't even 1:1 which is where the MP-E starts from. It's not very good (I didn't really know what I was doing) but it hopefully it will give you an idea for magnification. My guess is the MP-E will take you closer than this:

112/365/2013 - Bling by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

If you want a dedicated macro lens, I would say your best bet will probably be a 100mm one, or if you want to save some cash try reversing what you have or using achromats.

If interested, you can click through the image for my thoughts on shooting jewelry for the first time..

Last edited:
Back