Joe, the first shoot tonight.

Name
Paul Tomlinson
Edit My Images
No
Joecopy.jpg

I took this portrait photo tonight and talking about a second shoot next week, i would like your thoughts and ideas on getting better shots next time.

Paul Tomo(y)

Last edited:
I'm no expert. But, I would say try a plane background and maybe a tighter crop so there isn't as much room above her head.

It's so easy to criticise other people work. Now I just have to try and get it right!

I think you have captured her really well, her expression is really natural and fun. I would have to agree about the background though and it seems a tad underexposed? All in all though a really nice shot.

Cheers guys for the CC i should have done the crop in the first place, my next shoot with this model is on Tuesday night, i will put new photo's on next week. Many thanks for your help and thoughts.

Paul Tomo(y)

You need to de-clutter a little and may be try to get some sort of catch-light in the eyes.

Last edited:
Check out the 1-2-3 rule for portraiture. Its quite a handy rule to use. No need to follow to the letter but it'll get you thinking.

Mick.

The eyes look dead to me. Maybe because she's squinting or because the lights were in the wrong place to produce a catchlight.

Check out the 1-2-3 rule for portraiture. Its quite a handy rule to use. No need to follow to the letter but it'll get you thinking.

Mick.

I agree, I'd also ask your model to straighten her back, that should improve the pose as well.

As suggested a tighter crop, just head maybe would look good.

I don't like the lighting much its very flat, how did you do it?

agree with the decluttering and the closer crop (but try LOADS of angles)

also whats the 1-2-3 rule?

Thanks for your comments folks, i should have said at the start that this shoot was not a shoot as such and what i mean is this was just a visit and a quick shot to have an idea to work on the next time we meet, that's when the shoot will be.
The light is from my 580 bouncing of the ceiling and without using a reflector to throw a little light back on to the face.

Sorry folk for not saying at he start but that you very much and thank again for looking and making comments.

Paul Tomo

Back