Critique John Roper, Stone Mason

Edit My Images
Yes

This really stood out to me, from all the others because of the story it tells

It towered above others in the graveyard, and as it was for a Stone Mason, I wonder if the reason it had pride of place in the cemetery was due to the fact
that he might have been involved in the building of the church and the statues and monuments inside it, made of marble and other stones.

John Roper, Stone Mason

by Morro Fenrir, on Flickr

For Those Who Cannot Read The Inscription
Sacred To The Memory Of

John Roper, Stone Mason
Who Died the 28th June
1823 Aged 53 Years

Also SIMON his son Who died in November 1816 Aged 10 Months

Also HANNAH his Widow who died 4th April 1842 aged 69 Years

Also HANNAH JONES his daughter who fell asleep in Jesus at Preston April 16th 1866 Aged 58 Years

Also ANN his daughter who died September 29th 1868 aged 70 Years

I have other photos from this area, which I have posted on one thread, but this one really stood out to me, was definitely my favorite from the day.

Last edited:
Ok here goes. A story indeed on the stone. But as a photography, it's really just a record shot of a headstone. There is no clue of the scale you mention and the selective colour is not for me I'm afraid. I don't like to give critique without advice on improvements, but I'm afraid I'm stumped by how to improve this. A great memory for someone, but as an image, it holds no interest I'm afraid. Sorry.

That's a fair point, thank you for your input :)

I'll go back the original raw and see if I can add more to it by reducing the crop.

I wanted to focus on the "story" of the inscription ,

and the selective colour was to focus on the colour of the lichen and moss, the reasoning behind this was because I see too many mono and black and white shots of graveyards ,

and when I visited I was fascinated by the sheer amount of colour everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

Back