John

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
No
As many will know, I don't often stray far from photographing birds and animals so I must admit that I'm a million miles away from my comfort zone here and more than a little nervous about posting this photograph.

For some time now, I've been looking at the direction I want to go with my photography...As much as I love wildlife and I still have a lot to learn, I sometimes feel that doing nothing but this medium stifles any creative ambitions I have.
I've decided to try some different genres with the view of learning more and hopefully improving my photography overall.

So here goes...
This is John, a very good friend and workmate of mine who I have always thought of someone who would make a good subject to photograph.
He's one of those people who can look happy and sad at the same time, as well as having a 'well lived' face.
I asked him this morning if I could take a couple of shots of him and being the very nice guy he is, he didn't esitate to say yes.

John800.jpg

Thanks
Anthony

p.s I'd like to add, that my thoughts are to take a series of black & white images of different characters against the backdrop of a simple brick wall...Not the most interesting concept I guess, but I'll see what happens.

Last edited:
A great character portrait with good lighting showing the lines and wrinkles in his face to good effect. The mono conversions really helps in this.

I can see the concept and what you are trying to achieve but I would have preferred the subject further away from the wall allowing for a little blur. I find the wall a little too distracting and it takes away from the main subject. Also it would be nice to see a little light in the eyes, out in the open like this a reflector can be useful. This of course is entirely my opinion I am sure for others the BG works well.

Hope you dont mind my small criticisms it is an excellent shot, If I had taken it I would be well chuffed. Well done (y)

Steve

I agree with Steve V, the eyes could be a little lighter and the wall could be a bit further away.

Still an excellent shot though, I like it, much better than all those old feathery things!

:) Thank you very much for you comments guys and I really appreciate the honest feedback.
Some very good points and fair criticism which I will definately take note of.

Steve, your point about moving the subject futher away from the wall is a valid one.
I always try to apply good use of DOF with my wildlife images and for some reason didn't think it necessary with this portrait, but I think you're absolutly right mate and I will take this into consideration for my next attempts.
The reflector suggestion is also a very good one...I'm not a fan of flash photography and much prefer to work with natural light, but I understand that with a little bit of experimentation, the use of a reflector could be used to harness natural light sources.

Thanks once again for the advice guys (y)

I like that one and agree with the comment regarding the eyes. The beard looks nice and detailed as well.

Great shot! I agree he IS photogenic. He has a look of dear departed John Peel, anyone else see that?

I have a photographic memory that was never developed

Great shot! I agree he IS photogenic. He has a look of dear departed John Peel, anyone else see that?

:) Thanks very much.

It's funny you should say that...
John not only has a slight look of the great man but also at the age of 61, shares an excellent if very eclectic taste in music as well as having a brilliant dry wit.

Back