Critique JoLouise Studio Shoot *new pic added*

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I posted on here, i've not been doing as much photography as I would like, but I made myself a new years resolution this year to start shooting more.

So, this photo is from my 2nd photoshoot this year with JoLouise.....this was taken at Gordon Millners' studio in Grantham - any c&c is most welcome or any other advice is also welcome.

952A2616 by Gary Smithdale, on Flickr

I've not got the hang of sharing pics using the new Flickr layout, so I hope this has worked ok.

So, this photo was taken with a 50mm f1.8 that I borrowed (I really like this lens, so might have to invest in one myself) with a reflector bouncing some of the light back towards Jo.

Any comments are most welcome.

Thanks for looking.

A lovely model, with beautifully balanced light.
The muted clothing is a good choice to harmonise with the lighting, allowing us to concentrate on the skin tones. For me, no part of the image fights for my attention, but I am drawn to her face and eyes.
My only niggle would be a few stray hairs and the thread on the cuff.
Still a beautiful capture, and well done for getting back into it!

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your comments :)

It's not often I find inspiration for a photoshoot, but once I saw a layout of the studio that we were to use, I got this idea - and then Jo showed me the clothing she had brought with her and I thought that would be perfect to go with the background.

I'm going to try to do a shoot every couple of months - this will help spread the costs (and give me a lot more time to edit the pics!).

I really like this, the colours are all very tranquil and perfectly in tune with the pose / setting and lovely soft light.

It helps that she ois very pretty of course but both shots are really good, there is a slightly soft feel to no 2 but given the subject I think it works fine. No 1 is a look so very nice, slightly sharper with a tad more contrast, works OK though. Much pp?
Matt

no 2 i think is great. Really holds you in the photo. Im not qualified to crit technically, and sometimes i think technical perfection is overrated, its about how the image makes you feel, makes you think, and this image has feeling. To me it invokes a 'summer, lazy, sunday morning' feeling. I like it!

Back