Jumping on the Ice/frost wandbagon

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
After seeing some cracking ice shots, I thought I'd give it a go myself - though its bloody cold out -1 this morning. With not much in the insect way for me to photograph, this was the next best thing for this time of year. Roll on the spring :D

My daughter has some colourful garden toys in the garden, all covered in frost, so out I went for 5 minutes with the 105mm macro and raynox dcr250, canon 600d and tt560 flash and pringles tube to see what I could get.

Not much in the fractal shapes but I thought, with the colourful garden toys, I could get some nice background colours, best of 5 minutes work, might try a bit longer tomorrow, just as the sun coming up to get a nice sunrise ice shots. We'll see.

15691426037_0ee9c6bb76_b.jpg

Cheers

Very nice shot Carl, maybe try a closer shot of one next time or frost on a window. (y)

Very nice shot Carl, maybe try a closer shot of one next time or frost on a window. (y)

Great shapes shown Carl and very well composed too... as above try and get a close up of one of those icicle. Was planning to try one on my reversed len's setup.

That's a nice shot Carl, with as Bryn said some good shapes & composition.(y)

George.

I really like this Carl, the contrasting blues are really nice. I have never attempted a frost shot do you need to do anything different in set up with these type of shots?.

Thanks all for comments

I really like this Carl, the contrasting blues are really nice. I have never attempted a frost shot do you need to do anything different in set up with these type of shots?.

No, just what I would do if I were doing a normal macro shot, though its been raining this morning so no frost, but next time I'll pop on an extension tube as well and see if I can get in a lot closer to pick up some patterns - the window suggestion sounds great.

Nice. I need to get myself some of this macro magnification kit & that looks rather affordable on amazon.

Be careful though Mark, you're highly likely to find it "Very Addictive". You have been warned!!!:):)

George.

Be careful though Mark, you're highly likely to find it "Very Addictive". You have been warned!!!:):)

It's ok, we're past the addiction being an issue. That was signed & sealed with this photo way back in 2003.

These days I just like to keep the habit interesting. If I can put one of these dcr250's on my Sigma 105 for £50 I might be on to a winner for shooting new & interesting things even somewhere are mundane as around the house! :D

Really good Carl so agree that it would be better with more magnification of one of tbe crystals on it's own but thats easier said than done
nice to see you guys are still at it, I haven't done any macro for ages:)

Terrific! You can really see the structure. Hoping to have a go with snowflakes this year.

Very nice Carl. Have not had any ice up here yet. Perhaps soon.

Back