Just a couple

Name
let me think....Donald
Edit My Images
Yes
It was lovely and clear on Wednesday morning so I tried out a couple of local shots. Not too impressed with either - what could I have done better?

tp1.jpg

tp2.jpg

Thanks for the comment Andi, I'll have a bit more playing but in the mean time do you think it works any better like this:

tp3.jpg

Composition is the key to any photo. I try to remember this at all times, telling myself, "this isn't a photo of a bridge, it's a photo of a curved line. How can I get that curved line to look its best?"

With that in mind, in photo 1 you have three main compositional elements to me: a receding diagonal line (the terraced houses), a vertical line (the tower) and a black space (the right side of the photo). The black space isn't doing anything useful so it should go. Put the tower at the far right of the photo with the terrace leading to it: that's your composition. I would take from a lower vantage point too, it seems you're quite high up, are you standing on a ladder? :D Try and get more foreground and more symmetry to the receding terrace so it leads the eye down to the tower.

The second - seems like it's taken with a telephoto, giving a compressed feeling of space. There's really no compositional sense here, just an image - for instance, the traffic lights are floating around the bottom, the car is cut in half, and the perspective on the bridge isn't flattering. Needless to say the tonemapping makes no difference to the composition and therefore doesn't improve the photo. That sort of stuff is just a distraction if the underlying image needs improving. Decide what you're actually taking a photo of - is it the road, the cars, or the bridge? I would say there's a good image to be made of the bridge, but get down there with a wide angle and fill the frame!

See the results of the reshoot next week? ;)

Thanks everyone for the replies - all useful in their own way

I seriously don't like the edit. I do agree on a more gritty B&W for that shot though.

Thanks for the comment - I guess this goes down under "or the bad" side of the coin

You don't have your "edit" box ticked but do you mind if I have a go just for fun?:thinking:

box now ticked - have fun

I think the second one has some possibilities - maybe not that particular shot, but certainly the location

Plenty more angles of attack, this was taken from a "lazy" easy position from a convenient car park. Next dry day I will go down the canal path

Composition is the key to any photo. I try to remember this at all times, telling myself, "this isn't a photo of a bridge, it's a photo of a curved line. How can I get that curved line to look its best?

Lovely reply with lots of food for thought

Thanks again

Just a couple of quick edits, and I know these are a little over the top but they might gve the OP some ideas.........(cough!) :LOL:

tp2b.jpg

tp2c.jpg

Oh, I agree with martsharm on the composition thing.....mega important!(y)

Last edited:
Thanks Damien - I can see the B+W working. Next chance I will try a few more angles - I like the "photographing a curve" concept. Had a little play with the tower one on another original from a slightly different angle. Why is it I like it more when I flip it?

tp4.jpg

tp5.jpg

Donald

Last edited:
definatly better flipped.....gok why? but i'm suer someone with an art/design background would
I really dont think the bridge shot workd...however its edited

Back