Just another Manhattan set

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
Yes
We have been back for a week and I have finally had a chance to look through the 700 images taken during the week in Manhattan.

Here are a few of the evening images.

DSC_1890-1-L.jpg

looking south from ESB

DSC_1889-1-L.jpg

more

DSC_1913-1-L.jpg

Slightly later and the Flatiron buildings visible in bottom centre

DSC_1908-2-L.jpg

looking north

For those who havent been there its worth noting that you cannot use tripods and security can be a pain in the butt.

poking the camera through the railings and resting on the wall invites them to tell you to stop doing it.

This is what might be described as 'built-up' :)

The second is my choice as there appears to the most detail apparent combined with more of the river being visible.

They're all good though.

Thanks for the comments, I will post some other NY images when I have a little time.

That's amazing sky. I'd bring back a bit more exposure in the buildings in 1 and 2. Have a play and bin them to your family album as the sods will sue your ass off for anything else. I didn't even bother going up when I was in that horrid place.

That's amazing sky. I'd bring back a bit more exposure in the buildings in 1 and 2. Have a play and bin them to your family album as the sods will sue your ass off for anything else. I didn't even bother going up when I was in that horrid place.
You missed a treat then. The views are amazing.

You missed a treat then. The views are amazing.

Who cares if you can't use it and still have to pay a fortune for it. I am not going back to NY for sure.

Who cares if you can't use it and still have to pay a fortune for it. I am not going back to NY for sure.
I had no trouble whatsoever doing long exposures at the Empire State or Top of the Rock. Reading that others have had trouble was a surprise to me.

I am a country boy at heart and a wildlife consultant and I thought NY was amazing. the potential for photography was amazing. Still everyone is different.

I had no trouble whatsoever doing long exposures at the Empire State or Top of the Rock. Reading that others have had trouble was a surprise to me.

Did you get a tripod in or did you use beanbags, clamps etc

OP. I should have said the last two are spot on. Overall the dynamic range in those scenes are less allowing your camera to cope better.

The other two with a soft edged 2 or 3 stop grad would have allowed you to hold back the sky a bit to get the foreground in. Or using a dark cloth wave it repeatedly over the top part of the frame allowing a longer exp for the buildings. On a 4 plus sec exposure your hand movements would ghost out

Last edited:

OP. I should have said the last two are spot on. Overall the dynamic range in those scenes are less allowing your camera to cope better.

The other two with a soft edged 2 or 3 stop grad would have allowed you to hold back the sky a bit to get the foreground in. Or using a dark cloth wave it repeatedly over the top part of the frame allowing a longer exp for the buildings. On a 4 plus sec exposure your hand movements would ghost out
Both places have concrete places where you can rest a camera.

Reactions: ST4
I am a country boy at heart and a wildlife consultant and I thought NY was amazing. the potential for photography was amazing. Still everyone is different.

It's not about potential, its about getting permits, licenses and paying tens or hundreds of thousands $$$$$$ for it. It doesn't matter that you got away with taking some great shots from the devil's den, but you still can't legally use them but for personal use (if that). That way you are soon left with one old falling apart bridge and some filthy streets in Bronx to photograph and use legally. For a revenge I'd strip all your metadata and upload anonymously to wikipedia and flickr as Creative Commons to annoy the owners.

I'd say that's exposure blending time if you can set up with steady support.

Nice.

What time of day was this? We was in NYC the other week - security recognised my Gorilla Pod and took it off me :( Mine didn't come out as well as this - only just made it up in time to have a little daylight left, but have the building lights on as I wanted to get similar shots to yours.

It's not about potential, its about getting permits, licenses and paying tens or hundreds of thousands $$$$$$ for it. It doesn't matter that you got away with taking some great shots from the devil's den, but you still can't legally use them but for personal use (if that). That way you are soon left with one old falling apart bridge and some filthy streets in Bronx to photograph and use legally. For a revenge I'd strip all your metadata and upload anonymously to wikipedia and flickr as Creative Commons to annoy the owners.

I'd say that's exposure blending time if you can set up with steady support.

Can you explain what you mean by this please, i recently took some nice shots from the top of the rock of the empire state and was contemplating selling them online, is this not an option??, Thanks in advance , Dan.

Can you explain what you mean by this please, i recently took some nice shots from the top of the rock of the empire state and was contemplating selling them online, is this not an option??, Thanks in advance , Dan.

If you go to the Top of the Rock website you'll see:

"Photography is permitted only at the observation de
ck at the Top of the Rock and only for
private, personal and noncommercial use. Photograph
s cannot be published, sold, reproduced,
transferred, distributed, or otherwise commercially
exploited in any manner whatsoever."

Let us know what you find out about the Empire State Building.

In short, no, it isn't unless you have a letter from the building manager, or unofficially speaking you are selling a print to your best mate.

Thanks for the replies guys, there's loads of images obvs taken from totr on etsy and such, people just running the gauntlet!

Back