Critique Juvie dipper

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Spent some time with this fella,it appears he's on his own in the big wild world, very confiding. I struggled a bit with the harsh light and dark of a woodland stream and weir. Cloned out a few specular hilights a bit of burning in pscc. 1/2500 f8 iso 2000. !dxii 400DO IS ii ext 2x

_S2I9147 sm j by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

cheers

stu

Good feather detail with the x2 Stu, love seeing photos of these smart little birds. :)

The kidlet was lovely Roger so confiding,I have a morass to sort out. i'm so damn slow editing,thanks for the words,hopefully another couple will show here. Tricky bird exp wise....even though I had all the time in the world

Roger,ext's have such a mixed rep,both in canon and nikon,some folks won't touch a 2x because of loss of detail. I've done ok in the past with my older body roger,but with this new camera every thing just seems to work exactly how one would expect. It's a bit bewildering this 800mm lark mate,It's going to take a while for me to really get my head around it all,but no question the weak link is moi. The detail is spot on with either ext plus AF is stunning. The 2x was always slow with my old body mate painful at times.I know you are only looking at a small low res jpeg but even wide open if I do my bit the IQ is amazing to me . It's not a vastly detailed sensor only 20 mega pixies but it does the job

The ever advancing digital world mate,i'm completely blown away at the mo.:) This DO lens is so light weight wise I wish you nikon guys could tap into this. It's seems to be throwing out a real life line to some older guys keeping them in the field for longer

thanks again buddy

stu

Nice. Feather detail is so hard to get right as its looks over sharp from the camera

Nice. Feather detail is so hard to get right as its looks over sharp from the camera

Mark ,

I've selectively sharpened just a tiny bit mate,0'2 radius 500 amount zilch on the threshold ( 'erm cough I think lol:D). . Mark I don't know jack about post,but I can see how easy it is to over do sharps,especially birds feathers, They have barbs and what not that really reflect light sort of give that crunchy look if the sharpening to too agressive

As I say though mate no expert just what I see through staring too damn hard.

Mark I screwed up on my second outing leastways I think second sortie with dxii ,I spent eons checking mfa,I know I tried to go back to RAW afterwards, but I some how didn't execute it..On my next outing I made a load of images of mum tuftie and kids in some lovely light. i'll show some of them mate SOOC. It sort of made me feel that post is a waste of my time (I try hard but it's hard work for me) and that canon do a better job than I at producing a jpeg!!

Sure I'll continue banging me 'ead against the brick wall until it falls down like everything in life......continue in RAW etc etc,and I'm gutted I can't play with those frames,but that sure was a WTF moment:D Mark my camera is set to a pretty neutral jpeg so I can stare at the blinkies basically. I spent as much time checking the histograme here as shooting light was up and down like the proverbial.......:whistle:

cheers

stu

Nice wee bird Stu. The OOF twig just below teh bill is distracting - wish the little buggers would stay in a position without any distractions! Not sure if you coudl 'tone it down' a bit (I could nt with my pp skills!). Iam also looking that the 'level' of teh bird - It looks to be on quite a slope but that is not reflected in the water - maybe me!
TFS

These are lovely little birds and you've captured this one nicely Stuart. That white chest can be difficult, keeping detail in the whites isn't easy without losing the darker areas and vice versa. I wonder if the wire looking thing could be cloned, that would make the image even better IMO. Lovely image as it is though.

Hi john agreed on the twig. ,birdy is on a slope John, a weir I guess one would call it,run off from a big old pond. So my levels may well be off mate but there should be a slope. It allowed me to get very low John as I was basically shooting from below and followed him as he worked up stream. Ok bar the close ups of fella dozing where me feet were somewhere above my head,as ya do on river banks ;) I've got a rake of the little chap john,I liked the pose maybe not the best choice. mate,but yup on the stick .

Dale cheers for the input as well buddy great minds an all that seems you and John have an accord:D Yeah mate, really tricky EXP wise

I'll have a look at that twig lads,Mike's shown me how to sort this

cheers both

stu

The twig is a pain and I would have preferred the head to be lifted a little more but the detail is all there.

If you do try and get rid of the twig, you can always add mask to the layer afterwards and paint over the beak so the beak remains unaffected

Mike

Hey buddy, I had a quick go, mate, and came here to post. So I'll pop it up ie the cloned version and I'd be grateful if anyone wants to say that ain't up to par have another go,I didn't think of the mask option . I'll explore that;)

Dippy was a star, I have a lot of images Mike the stare while hunting is what appeals to me,would that get lost with a higher lifted head. ???

_S2I9147 sm j avec cloning by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

thanks for all the 'elp :D.

Stu

Thanks very much Mike, great to hear !!

stu

Back