K20D - First thoughts...

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
Well first let me start by saying I purchased this from Clifton Cameras, and I cannot fault the service, ordered at 9pm Wednesday, arrived 9am Friday morning, cant get alot better than that!

They even phoned me up and talked me through the order process, that's a level of service I have never had from any on-line company before.

Cannot fault them, such great service, and even threw in a GPS tracker, so you can track your exact location when you shoot, whether I use it or not, something for free is always great.

They also offer a 2 year warranty on every product they sell as standard, so that was also a bonus.

Now the camera..

I read mixed reviews about the PENTAX brand, but I can say I think they must have been reviewing the wrong camera, its amazing and the speed in which it transfers and captures is amazing.

Build quality is superb, feels rock solid and light at the same time. Its also weather sealed which gives it a bit of a rugged feel.

The top plated LCD screen is great and even back lighted for night shots.

I have been using my old lenses and they work without hitch, MF only, but I dont use AF on newer lenses, so that dosent bother me.

Image stabilisation and AF motor built into the body, more good points!

Its about the same size as the D90, maybe a bit bigger. Having used both, I would recommend anyone to the PENTAX K20D over the Nikon D90 any day.

The fact that I can shoot in PEF (pentax compressed raw) means I can free more space on my card and keep the raw quality. As once the PEFs are uncompressed into DNG they are the same quality (if not better than a shot taken in DNG format).

I shot about 9 raw frames at once, click click click, no delay worked flawlessley.

Will upload some pics when I have used it more.

Pleased to hear you like it. I use a K10D and must say that my experience is far better than the reviews I read. I find the quality of some of the magazines these days to be very poor and although they deny it they do appear to be more interested in the maker's name than the camera.The only reviewer I pay any attention to these days is Geoffrey Crawley he seems to know his subject and I've bought a couple of lenses after his reviews and found what he said about them to be spot on.

I use some old M42 mount lenses on my K10D and was very impressed how easy it is to use them - even giving shake reduction - the ease of use and quality of results made me go out and buy some more!

As well as Pentax I also use Nikon but I am happy whichever camera is in my hand.

Welcome to the Pentax / Samsung fold!! Don't overlook all the vintage Pentax glass that's out there, some of the older Pentax K mount glass is superb quality and dirt cheap to boot...

Carl

Welcome to the Pentax / Samsung fold!! Don't overlook all the vintage Pentax glass that's out there, some of the older Pentax K mount glass is superb quality and dirt cheap to boot...

Carl

Some of that older K mount glass is all ready on there ;)

I have had my K20d for about 9 months now and think it is excellent. Build quality is immense.
Don't like pentax software. Much prefer PSE.

PS CS4 + Lightroom 2.4

I just really cannot see a better built camera for the same money as the K20D, and the fact its weather sealed!

Im shooting in PEF, then converting to DNG, ill see how it works out, but I like to keep as much free space on my cards as possible!

Back