Critique Kingfisher at Forest farm

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
f/5.6 1/800 ISO 800 300mm lens

All the pics came out with a simillar quality. The Kingfisher is probably 30 feet away. I had plenty of time used a few different settings but not much in them.

I would like a crisper picture after the crop, is my technique off or is this the limit of my lens at the given distance.

Apart from that it was a great 30 minutes watching it diving for its lunch

:)

Kingfisher by John, on Flickr

Kingfisher crop- by John, on Flickr

Welcome to bird photography.....you cannot have enough reach!! I think that you need to get closer with a 300mm lens! makes your fieldcraft skills improve! Keep trying and good luck!

f/5.6 1/800 ISO 800 300mm lens

All the pics came out with a simillar quality. The Kingfisher is probably 30 feet away. I had plenty of time used a few different settings but not much in them.

I would like a crisper picture after the crop, is my technique off or is this the limit of my lens at the given distance.

Apart from that it was a great 30 minutes watching it diving for its lunch

:)

Kingfisher by John, on Flickr

Kingfisher crop- by John, on Flickr

You got the best you can expect at this distance. As @nc_killie has said the next step is to get closer :)

I second the above comments. (y)

The light looks a little flat, which won't help with detail.

If you're in a position to, get the perch closer, or put your own out, then hide yourself. I'm guessing this is a well used spot by the KF so it should soon take to another perch as well. You'll also get a mushier background. Take your perch down when you're done, leaving the original one there.

I use a Sigma 150-600 C on an R7, crop sensor (so effectively 960mm) for my Kingfishers and I have them perch about 15 feet away. At this distance with this lens, the Kingfisher itself is filling about 1/8th of the frame.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment guys.

These were taken from a Hide so no chance of moving them :) .The other hide is closer to the perch but the small pond is covered with foliage so not as popular with the KF's.

I think I will take my FZ82 bridge camera out there next and see what that can do ......... or get a 600mm lens :oops: :$

@JayceeC , which hide was this taken from? It looks like the right hand perch at hide 2 (Cliff's hide), if that's the case it's 34 metres from the hide window to that perch, you are going to struggle to get much at that distance in the light you had.

Last edited:
@JayceeC , which hide was this taken from? It looks like the right hand perch at hide 2 (Cliff's hide), if that's the case it's 34 metres from the hide window to that perch, you are going to struggle to get much at that distance in the light you had.

Yes it was the Cliff hide, well spotted, it was the first time being there since they replaced the old one.

At least I know from everyones comments that was probably the best picture given the equipment and location.

Reactions: mex
Back