Kingfisher...still trying.

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
The best to date ...still a long way to go.
Full frame ...so I know it needs a crop off the right....;)
Keith
BestKinglow_filtered.jpg

Glad to see you are getting some action Keith. You could do with a little more room at the bottom IMO.

Thanks everyone....

I put this on as a full frame virtually untouched to show how close I am with the 400 mm end of the sigma. ;)
The room at the bottom is because he landed looked at me and B******* off again so I only had time to do 3 clicks ...the 1st 2 were blurred!!
If I had some time I would focus on the eye and re-do the comp again to move him higher in the frame.
Also I have been alternating between portrait and landscape during my 2-3 hour stints but I know portrait will suit better.It is so hard to keep my finger in position for all that time with the camera in portrait mode so I have to quickly keep changing it back to normal.
This perch is about 15 foot away and as I am in view to the birds I have to be ready to click with out moving arm/head as they see me even though I am low down against the trunk of the tree and in camo head to tail.
If they start showing more I am going to hire some decent kit to see if I can get better images,from the same set up.Only problem is it's averaging about 1 visit for every 10 hours and loads of chronic shoulder pains.:thumbsdown:
Keith (y)

Thanks everyone....

I put this on as a full frame virtually untouched to show how close I am with the 400 mm end of the sigma. ;)
The room at the bottom is because he landed looked at me and B******* off again so I only had time to do 3 clicks ...the 1st 2 were blurred!!
If I had some time I would focus on the eye and re-do the comp again to move him higher in the frame.
Also I have been alternating between portrait and landscape during my 2-3 hour stints but I know portrait will suit better.It is so hard to keep my finger in position for all that time with the camera in portrait mode so I have to quickly keep changing it back to normal.
This perch is about 15 foot away and as I am in view to the birds I have to be ready to click with out moving arm/head as they see me even though I am low down against the trunk of the tree and in camo head to tail.
If they start showing more I am going to hire some decent kit to see if I can get better images,from the same set up.Only problem is it's averaging about 1 visit for every 10 hours and loads of chronic shoulder pains.:thumbsdown:
Keith (y)

Can you not set up so your out of sight and comfortable and trigger the camera remotely? It's an excellent shot, by the way!!

Last edited:
Looking better Keith (y) Slightly soft on the eye to me, do you have any exif on that one?

Thanks again......

"Can you not set up so your out of sight and comfortable and trigger the camera remotely? It's an excellent shot, by the way!!"......
The only way to get out of the way is in a portable hide but there's no room for one and I would have to set it up every visit.:crying:
Remote control is wireless but works off the FRONT of camera :bonk:

Exif is....f 5.6, 1/30, iso 200 and 0.07EV.

Keith (y)

Last edited:
Is it real tree camo u use. Ive spotted kingfisher at work on a pond we have , but its quite surrounded by old trees and posts in the water for it to perch on, so me setting up a branch over hanging water i dont think *** make alot of difference, anything else i can do to maybe try draw it closer?

Hi Big Dave.....I have not been able to teachthe adults anything....I have only managed to get the young....don't know if there's more than one.....to use a different perch.
Even they are starting to use unsuitable perches at times.
Keith (y)

il have to try and wait, ive only seen one but im hoping theres a pair! but a hide *** be very useful for me to get as close as i want too, ive only got a 70-300mm sigma

Back